55 Year Old in California - Need Help

JGold814

Guru
100+ Post Club
Las Vegas
I've got a guy who is 55 yo in California who recently applied for coverage and an A1C of 12 showed up on the exam (originally applied for 10 year term) - he was subsequently declined for coverage because of the high A1C.

He has to get coverage as part of a divorce agreement. He does not take any prescriptions and has never been treated for any past conditions.

This person has to secure several hundred thousand for the agreement so he's looking to stack some policies. I've got United Farm Family Life, Royal Neighbors of America, Transamerica, Gerber, United of Omaha, Great Western, and Columbian Mutual as noted options that may work. Assurity and Sagicor said he'd be a decline from the underwriter's I spoke with. Oxford looks like a decline as well.

Does anyone have any ideas for other coverage options?

I've got a guy who is 55 yo in California who recently applied for coverage and an A1C of 12 showed up on the exam (originally applied for 10 year term) - he was subsequently declined for coverage because of the high A1C.

He has to get coverage as part of a divorce agreement. He does not take any prescriptions and has never been treated for any past conditions.

This person has to secure several hundred thousand for the agreement so he's looking to stack some policies. I've got United Farm Family Life, Royal Neighbors of America, Transamerica, Gerber, United of Omaha, Great Western, and Columbian Mutual as noted options that may work. Assurity and Sagicor said he'd be a decline from the underwriter's I spoke with. Oxford looks like a decline as well.

Does anyone have any ideas for other coverage options?

So you're looking for 10yr term on a 55yr old male...S or NS?

Do you have more history? An A1C of 12 is astronomical. Were you aware of the condition in advance? Is there a history? Treatment? Any other conditions? Age of onset for the diabetes? There is a failure to survive program through Lloyd's I believe. Depending on the big picture that may be your only option short term. Secure some limited coverage and depending on the situation coach them to a point of being insurable. Rewrite once that happens.

He wanted term insurance, but he ain't getting it now. He's going to take whatever he can get - term or permanent. I'm trying to see what other options may be available for SIWL that I haven't thought of or knows of a non-med term that will still work with his case.

The client is essentially an undiagnosed diabetic. He has an annual checkup every spring (most recent was in March 2015 - hasn't had his yet this year). It has not been diagnosed by a doctor yet. The number just popped up on an insurance exam completed a couple weeks ago.

No other conditions. No prescriptions. Was always in perfect health prior to this.

He's pretty much looking at a mix of SIWL and AD&D (to make up the difference in the required coverage amount that he can't get for full coverage) to satisfy the judge with the understanding that he will replace within the next 1-2 years after getting the A1C down to a controlled level (a.k.a. meet with a doctor and get prescriptions started for course of treatment).

Any A1C over 10 is uninsurable for fully underwritten term.

He wanted term insurance, but he ain't getting it now. He's going to take whatever he can get - term or permanent. I'm trying to see what other options may be available for SIWL that I haven't thought of or knows of a non-med term that will still work with his case. The client is essentially an undiagnosed diabetic. He has an annual checkup every spring (most recent was in March 2015 - hasn't had his yet this year). It has not been diagnosed by a doctor yet. The number just popped up on an insurance exam completed a couple weeks ago. No other conditions. No prescriptions. Was always in perfect health prior to this. He's pretty much looking at a mix of SIWL and AD&D (to make up the difference in the required coverage amount that he can't get for full coverage) to satisfy the judge with the understanding that he will replace within the next 1-2 years after getting the A1C down to a controlled level (a.k.a. meet with a doctor and get prescriptions started for course of treatment). Any A1C over 10 is uninsurable for fully underwritten term.

Scratch Columbian off your list, app question is, in the last 2 years did you have diabetes not under control.

I had case they didn't pay death benefit, they found in dr. Records one day his a1c levels were 10, not under control.

He wanted term insurance, but he ain't getting it now. He's going to take whatever he can get - term or permanent. I'm trying to see what other options may be available for SIWL that I haven't thought of or knows of a non-med term that will still work with his case.

The client is essentially an undiagnosed diabetic. He has an annual checkup every spring (most recent was in March 2015 - hasn't had his yet this year). It has not been diagnosed by a doctor yet. The number just popped up on an insurance exam completed a couple weeks ago.

No other conditions. No prescriptions. Was always in perfect health prior to this.

He's pretty much looking at a mix of SIWL and AD&D (to make up the difference in the required coverage amount that he can't get for full coverage) to satisfy the judge with the understanding that he will replace within the next 1-2 years after getting the A1C down to a controlled level (a.k.a. meet with a doctor and get prescriptions started for course of treatment).

Any A1C over 10 is uninsurable for fully underwritten term.

If you have to go SIWL, it's probably going to be about $1,000 a month. Oxford's a KO because he's been declined in the past 2 years and SNL will be Modified(ROP) because he's been declined in the past 12 months. Great Western's not in California.

As long as he doesn't have any tests pending , there are lots of companies he can get Level 1st day coverage with...no need to go Modified/GI.

Foresters($35K), Humana($25K), KSKJ(25K), Liberty Bankers Life($30K), Royal Neighbors($25K), Sentinel Life($35K), Standard Life & Accident($75K) and United National Life($25) are companies I'm familiar with that are in California. That adds up to $275K Level...EXPENSIVE! Even if he's already been diagnosed with diabetes, these companies are fine with it it...even insulin. I put their max in parentheses. There are others available.

Found out a fun interesting twist to this guy's medical background. Gotta love it when they "forgot" about treatment for something earlier. Turns out the guy was given a prescription about 8 years ago to lower his A1C (wasn't sure which prescription, but I'm betting it was metformin).

So what I think I'm really hearing is he was diagnosed as diabetic 8 years ago at age 47 (doctor probably phrased it as borderline diabetes or the guy is just in denial about being diabetic), probably given metformin, and the guy just took it like an antibiotic where after a couple weeks he figured he was magically cured just because his A1C went down a bit and decided he no longer needs to take the prescription. Fast forwards 8 years later and his A1C is wildly out of control at 12.

I'd be curious to know what the carrier saw in the APS for this guy. If he was treated for diabetes 8 years ago, what has been going on during the last 8 years? Has he had a standing prescription for the drug and what were his A1C values during annual checkups?

The pieces of the puzzle are coming together and I'm beginning to see a clearer picture of what I think is really going on with this case.

I appreciate all of the help on this case everyone.

This guy knows the coverage is going to be expensive, but he's being required to get a certain level of coverage. He makes pretty good money and can afford to write the check. He's basically going to have to bite the bullet, get this coverage now, and then look at a re-write in a year or two after he gets his A1C under control.

Back