6 Months in the Business, New Pay Structure

JWP

Expert
I'm in Michigan and got in the business 6 months ago working for a small independent. Starting pay is $1k monthly base + 70% NB and 10% RB. The base pay is supposed to go up about $50/mo. every six months. This is a new position at the small agency, there was just the boss, who sells mostly Health now, and 2 CSR's that service the existing book and do a little bit of P & C selling. My position was created because the 3 of them were not growing the business, non-renewals were about the same amount as new policies.

At the time of joining, I didn't like the renewal split, but was promised lots of leads and a good atmosphere to learn in. It has been a good place to learn the business, and I felt things were going well. I've sold over 30 policies each month this year, which is my goal.

However, the boss has changed the original pay structure: once I'm 2 years in, I will lose the base pay and be only commission. I don't mind being in a pure commission position, however the 70/10 split does not seem like fair compensation.

I had a long talk with my boss about this and he told me that I'm doing a great job and the last paycheck I received was the biggest check he's ever written to an employee. Yet, telling me that in 2 years I'll get what amounts to as an $8/hr pay cut has got me rethinking my career path. He seems to think a 70/10 split is above industry standards. He is open to further conversation on this and doesn't mind if I check around to see what others are paying. He says he wants to pay me better than anyone else, so I'm going to check around and see what that is.

The thing is, I like my boss and the CSR's. I'd love to keep working here if we can come to terms on compensation. I hope there is some middle ground on this where it's a win/win scenario for both of us. So my questions: Is 70/10 normal splits for a P&C sales agent? What is over-the-top to ask for, what is normal?

It really depends on where the new business is coming from. If a high % of it is from his clients (and/or their referrals) or things he's doing to get leads, you're above the norm from what I see. I know a lot of people in those situations working for $1k base plus 50% NB, no renewal $. Or no base, 70-80%, 0-5% RB.

The more of it that doesn't happen if you're not there, the more leeway you'll see. There are agencies where the producers generate all the business themselves, handle most of the service and get almost all the NB and RB $; the agency primarily just gets the bonus $.

Losing your salary after a year or two is the norm. It just there to help you get on your feet. Did you try to negotiate anything better than 70/10?
Are you cold calling or soliciting at all on your own or do all the leads come from him?
Are you handling any of the maintenance or are the CSRs doing all of it?

I would shoot for 60/40 or 50/50.

Right now most of the leads have been provided to me, and the CSR's are doing most of the maintenance. So I do feel lucky and appreciative that the position I'm in allows me to focus strictly on new sales.

However, with a 70/10 split, 5 years from now, I think it will be a struggle to make $40k a year even though the revenue of those commissions will approach $150k per year. If that's normal, I'll need to do something different.

A. Inside sales, no servicing
B. Inside sales + servicing
C. Outside sales
D. Outside sales + servicing
E. Become a competitor

Right now I'm A at 70/10. If it was 70/30 I'd probably be happy. How much should servicing account for on renewals? If I can get 70/50 with option B, I'd love it. If I'm doing outside sales, wouldn't I be better off as a competitor and keep it all?

I'm at 60/60 when I do all the work and at 50/50 when i do no work. all the work means prospecting for a client, running the quote signing the client up, maintaining it, servicing it etc. doing no work for me means saying "hey can I give you a quote" and then passing it on to the agent and csr to write the policy and do everything. I say "hey can i give you a quote" all day long. working harder for not much more money was silly. I'm not sure why other places try to separate new business from renewals. I have my insurance license specifically for growing my renewals. anything less than 50 is unacceptable. even if I do no work I want my 50

Back