AFLAC Cancer Policy. Retain for personal coverage? Alternatives?

LostDollar

There's No Toilet Paper- on the Road Less Traveled
5000 Post Club
Kansas
I am a consumer.

I have a relative who has asked me for comments about their AFLAC cancer coverage with an eye towards deciding whether it is coverage that should be kept or replaced.

I know nothing about evaluating cancer coverage.

Comments about:

How to evaluate cancer coverage
Pros and Cons of AFLAC coverage
Alternative coverage that could be considered

would be appreciated.

Thank you.
LD

I am a consumer.

I have a relative who has asked me for comments about their AFLAC cancer coverage with an eye towards deciding whether it is coverage that should be kept or replaced.

I know nothing about evaluating cancer coverage.

Comments about:

How to evaluate cancer coverage
Pros and Cons of AFLAC coverage
Alternative coverage that could be considered

would be appreciated.

Thank you.
LD
Refer them to @rousemark

They are not in TN or I would.
What AFLAC plan do they have? They have written several over the years. What is their ages? The only thing I can tell you offhand is they might consider my experience.. When I retired from AGLA the last time was when I turned 65 and became eligible Medicare.. I bought a Medicare supplement and also dropped my AGLA cancer plan. That was in September.. The following April I was diagnosed with stage 4 throat cancer.. I was never hospitalized but my cancer plan still would have paid around $17K-$20K which certainly would have come in handy. Fortunately between Medicare and the sup all the medical bills were paid. But there were a whole lot of extra expense not covered by Medicare. Plus, I was blessed with the fact that the church continued to pay me while I was being treated. Had I been working a job that would not have continued by pay, it would have been tough on us.

What AFLAC plan do they have? They have written several over the years. What is their ages? The only thing I can tell you offhand is they might consider my experience.. When I retired from AGLA the last time was when I turned 65 and became eligible Medicare.. I bought a Medicare supplement and also dropped my AGLA cancer plan. That was in September.. The following April I was diagnosed with stage 4 throat cancer.. I was never hospitalized but my cancer plan still would have paid around $17K-$20K which certainly would have come in handy. Fortunately between Medicare and the sup all the medical bills were paid. But there were a whole lot of extra expense not covered by Medicare. Plus, I was blessed with the fact that the church continued to pay me while I was being treated. Had I been working a job that would not have continued by pay, it would have been tough on us.

He is not in a situation that will continue to pay. unable to work, no income.

Mid 30's

The policy page says
CCAIUD Cancer Indemnity Policy ($20.28)
CCAILA Initial Diagnosis Building Benefit rider: 5 units =$500.00 ($ 5.85)

The policy has been in effect around 3 1/2 years.

Just quickly scanning I can't see any overall benefit maximum, so I presume that means that one has to sort through all the individual covered items and look at their individual payouts?

He is not in a situation that will continue to pay. unable to work, no income.

Mid 30's

The policy page says
CCAIUD Cancer Indemnity Policy ($20.28)
CCAILA Initial Diagnosis Building Benefit rider: 5 units =$500.00 ($ 5.85)

The policy has been in effect around 3 1/2 years.

Just quickly scanning I can't see any overall benefit maximum, so I presume that means that one has to sort through all the individual covered items and look at their individual payouts?

That is correct. Aflac is not a lump sum type of policy, it uses specific triggers for benefit payments.

If he is unable to work with no income, its not going to make or break him to drop it. Much more important insurance out there to keep going. Such as his disability, life, auto, home, etc. Plus he can always reapply. Its only been 3 years, premiums will not be that much more when he gets back on his feet.

In Rousmarks case, he was at retirement age and his DI policy would have run out by then, although he was still working. So adding on cancer, CI, and other ancillary coverages makes a lot of sense if DI is ending soon.

Back