Am I Safe to Get Tested for MS?

Jaxin

I have the option to stay on my parents' insurance or sign up for my own with my new job. My job pays me more if I waive it and stay on my parents' insurance (which is also easiest for me right now). I am 22 years old.

I am about ready to go in for tests for MS. No clue if I have it. I have had nothing formal regarding the diagnosis of the disease.

My question:

If I choose to stay on my parents' insurance and get diagnosed with MS in the coming year, will getting my own insurance change IN ANY WAY when I turn 25 and need to get on my own.

I have the option to stay on my parents' insurance or sign up for my own with my new job. My job pays me more if I waive it and stay on my parents' insurance (which is also easiest for me right now). I am 22 years old. I am about ready to go in for tests for MS. No clue if I have it. I have had nothing formal regarding the diagnosis of the disease. My question: If I choose to stay on my parents' insurance and get diagnosed with MS in the coming year, will getting my own insurance change IN ANY WAY when I turn 25 and need to get on my own.

No. Not on your health insurance.

Life insurance could be affected though.

To clarify what Newby said,

Due to Guaranteed Issue, a part of the Affordable Care Act reforms, health insurance cannot be denied based on your current condition. A diagnosis of MS will make no change in your rates or chance of acceptance at any carrier in the nation so long as the law remains in effect.

Life insurance, however, does not have this law. They may certainly deny you coverage, restrict the limit, or raise the rates based on your diagnosis.

Thank you guys! With that being the case, I will choose to stay on my parents'

Thank you guys! With that being the case, I will choose to stay on my parents'

Just for reference, the way the rules are written, you can stay on until your 26th birthday (you mentioned 25 in your original comment).

Depending on your state, you may be able to get even more. Here in NY, an optional rider lets you stay on the parents' plan until the day you turn 30.

Latest posts

Back