Americo - New Jersey Elder Abuse Notification

I am sure that there is elder abuse throughout the country but sometimes someone's nose gets into your business and no reason to be there.
End of 2009, my FIL broke his hip and did not come out of surgery well. His brain was fried. fast forward to February2010 and we have a Power of Attorney, a FIL on the mend, and the need for at home care, plus a live-in. I had cared for this man now for 6 months and am completely worn out mentally and physically. We decided to liquidate some of his assets so we could purchase a larger house which would accommodate our family, my FIL, and the live in aide. Transferred money to SunTrust bank which they were more than happy to accept. His financial person was a family friend and there were no questions about what was going on. Got to the bank on a Friday morning to pick up the check for closing and some VP in Richmond Virginia decided that we were abusing an elder and froze the account.
He made us get our parent, his attorney, and the financial planner into a room so that he could interview everyone. Never met the person before , hope to never meet him in a dark alley. My wife and I were called opportunists, thieves, abusers....and those were the kind words. 8 hours later all was ok'd and we went to closing Know Your Customer!

Back