Anthem Hacked

Since you brought it up though, I read something a couple days ago that claimed that the Chinese hackers had been definitely linked to the Chinese Intelligence Service.

BCBS is the carrier for federal employees, many with security clearances. Their data and medical histories are valuable to enemies for coercion and finding weaknesses to exploit.

That alone is a pretty good reason not to get BCBS. It's also a good reason to follow the news about recent Chinese aggression in the South China Sea. China seems to be looking for a fight and some new land.

If that is your basis for avoiding BCBS you need to add a bunch more to your list.

Chick-Fil-A
Sony
Target
Home Depot
USPS
OPM
Staples
Kmart
Dairy Queen
Jimmy John's
Tennova
P F Changs
J P Morgan Chase
Nieman Marcus
Yahoo
AT&T
eBay
Community Health Service
Google
Apple

I probably missed a few but if you avoid these places or only use cash you should be safe

An insurance company hack is much more serious then a debit card getting compromised. Health records are much more telling.

Health records are much more telling.

The real value is not the records, but the policy number. Even better if it is a Medicare client (original more so than extra crispy).

Or if you want a list of most of the federal employees, including CIA, you can bypass the medical info and sell that off and use the employee data to make up your own "black list"

The federal employee data is most concerning. Medical data is highly personal; There is undoubtedly material in there that a foreign government could try to blackmail public employees with, ranging from your postman to your Congressman.

I can't imagine there is very much a Senator would not do to keep a VD treatment or psychiatric treatment under wraps. Foreign governments tend to love that kind of power.

Last edited:
Back