Applying for Medicare Online

Thanks for the information, Wes. Always a compendium of Medicare nuances. You should consider doing this Medicare gig full time.

From the 2016 Medicare & You handbook....pg 25:

If you sign up for Part A and/or Part B during the first 3 months of your Initial Enrollment Period, in most cases, your coverage starts the first day of your birthday month. However, if your birthday is on the first day of the month, your coverage will start the first day of the prior month.

If you enroll in Part A and/or Part B the month you turn 65 or during the last 3 months of your Initial Enrollment Period, the start date for your Medicare coverage will be delayed.

What's confusing people, including myself as it was pointed out, is are we talking about the start date for Medicare, the start date for a Medicare Advantage plan or a start date for a Medicare Supplement plan?

Medicare Advantage plans ALWAYS start the 1st day of the next month. I'll call three insurance companies Monday to confirm that you can backdate a Medicare Supp plan.

From the 2016 Medicare & You handbook....pg 25: If you sign up for Part A and/or Part B during the first 3 months of your Initial Enrollment Period, in most cases, your coverage starts the first day of your birthday month. However, if your birthday is on the first day of the month, your coverage will start the first day of the prior month. If you enroll in Part A and/or Part B the month you turn 65 or during the last 3 months of your Initial Enrollment Period, the start date for your Medicare coverage will be delayed. What's confusing people, including myself as it was pointed out, is are we talking about the start date for Medicare, the start date for a Medicare Advantage plan or a start date for a Medicare Supplement plan? Medicare Advantage plans ALWAYS start the 1st day of the next month. I'll call three insurance companies Monday to confirm that you can backdate a Medicare Supp plan.
I don't believe the subject of the start date of an MA plan was a part of this thread, but they don't always start the first day of the next month, either. Two examples: if one enrolls in an MA the first day of their IEP it would start three months later (as noted in the CMS pub. you cited). If one enrolls using many of the SEP, such as leaving employer coverage, the enrollee can choose a start date up to two months later. It is correct that MA plans can never be backdated, but the discussion was about Part B, not MA, start dates. I hope that clears up the confusion you mention.

Don't forget to consider if they are already drawing their SS check, if so, they will be automatically enrolled in both A/B for the 1st of their birthday month.

Don't forget to consider if they are already drawing their SS check, if so, they will be automatically enrolled in both A/B for the 1st of their birthday month.

Can you clarify? As written, this doesn't make sense. If a person is already drawing their SS check, then I would expect him to already at least have Part A and likely delayed Part B past their 65th birthday.

Can you clarify? As written, this doesn't make sense. If a person is already drawing their SS check, then I would expect him to already at least have Part A and likely delayed Part B past their 65th birthday.

You can start drawing SS at age 62, three years before you are eligible for Medicare.

G. Gordon is correct.

Blue Shield of California states that a backdated Medicare SUPPLEMENT plan would have to be approved even for the T65 people.

Health Net said NO backdating.

Blue Shield of California states that a backdated Medicare SUPPLEMENT plan would have to be approved even for the T65 people.

Health Net said NO backdating.

Carriers can do anything they want as long as it doesn't violate Medicare rules. If they want to offer plan N in a GI situation, they can.

But this thread is still about enrolling in Medicare, not MA, not Medigap.

Back