Auto insurance claims with property damage limits

richard_h88

I have an auto insurance claims question :
My wife involved in an accident (involving 3 cars) few days back and fortunately everyone got no major injuries. But our car was totaled. The fault party insurance accepted liability fault of theirs and estimated the value of the car with their inspector. They told us to claim through our insurance as the fault party's policy has limits on property damage covering for 2 cars. Our insurance would then get the money back through subrogation process. Questions are (1) Should I claim through the fault party insurance first and if the funds not enough, can I still go back to my own insurance to claim the remaining ? (2) Can I ask for another estimate value for the vehicle from my preferred body shop inspector as I don't trust the estimate the fault party insurance inspector provide ? Thanks !

My insurance agent told me that I should claim from the fault party insurance (GEICO) and if the they really don't have enough to pay for two parties, then I can claim from my own insurance (Progressive) under the Uninsured Motorist category. If I claim through my own insurance first it would be under Collision category. However, today when I talked to the Progressive claim adjuster, she said I cannot claim from GEICO and then claim the remainder from Progressive. I'm not sure who to believe now. Thanks.

My insurance agent told me that I should claim from the fault party insurance (GEICO) and if the they really don't have enough to pay for two parties, then I can claim from my own insurance (Progressive) under the Uninsured Motorist category. If I claim through my own insurance first it would be under Collision category. However, today when I talked to the Progressive claim adjuster, she said I cannot claim from GEICO and then claim the remainder from Progressive. I'm not sure who to believe now. Thanks.

Ahhh, I understand now. You purchased insurance from a tv cartoon character, and now you are getting cartoon character level service. We see this often. Hopefully someone on here can give some input.

Last edited:
My insurance agent told me that I should claim from the fault party insurance (GEICO) and if the they really don't have enough to pay for two parties, then I can claim from my own insurance (Progressive) under the Uninsured Motorist category.

This is why you never ask your insurance agent about coverage and claims. Your claim rep is the one to ask. Uninsured Motorist coverage is for injuries if the other driver has no insurance. Underinsured Motorist coverage is for injuries if the other driver doesn't have enough coverage.

Collision covers the damage to your car.

However, today when I talked to the Progressive claim adjuster, she said I cannot claim from GEICO and then claim the remainder from Progressive. I'm not sure who to believe now.

Believe your Progressive claim adjuster. Your policy prohibits you from doing anything that prejudices your company's right of subrogation. If you negotiate a settlement with the other insurance company you have prejudiced your company's right to subrogate. Non-compliance with your policy is a good way to get your claim denied and policy rescinded.

Make the claim under your Collision coverage. You'll be out your deductible temporarily until the Progressive collects whatever can be collected from the other company.

Besides, you'll have a much easier time of it having your own insurance handle it. That's what you pay premiums for.

Back