Awaiting License

KFlack

So I have taken the test and applied for my license here in Florida. I took the life health and variable contracts test. I was offered a job at American income life and have decided not to sign on with them after reading about some shady business practices they use. I am thinking I would prefer to be independent instead of captive. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Congrats on your new license. If you have never sold insurance before working as a captive agent would allow you the ability to learn while making a salary + commissions. They should provide you with leads as well. However, when you leave that agency to go it independent you will, more thank likely, lose the book of business you created for that agency/agent. If you decide to go independent make sure you have a lead source set up or contract with a FMO that helps with that.

A lot of agents just jump in without a plan.

Your license is a "big" initial investment, but all it means is you've met the states minimum qualifications to sell.

It doesn't mean you should just jump to the first person to offer you a position (which isn't a job, fyi.. it's a partnership.)

DHK's video above is a great starting point.

You already know they have some shady business practices, so your Spidey sense is already going off..

Really, truly, and honestly... Evaluate who you want to work with as a customer. Then look at your market to determine the best way to market to them.

Otherwise, you'll spend a lot of money chasing nothing.

After watching your videos I think I would like to work in the middle income market. Any suggestions on IMO’s that offer great training in this area?

Back