Best VPS Hosting

johndf

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
We are upgrading our web presence and are looking at VPS hosting. We currently have shared hosting with Bluehost but have been told HostGator is also a good VPS provider. I realize this is a matter of personal preference but any thought on either and if there is someone better, who would you recommend and why.

Thanks

Really depends on what you're looking for. I have a small company I use (syptec.com), but they're not for everyone. The price is great and the service is reliable, but hostgator is easier to work with. Both are good choices.

Go Daddy is also an affordable choice we use for business. However we are also thinking of switching our providers to Host Gator.

I've been with them for a personal website for the last 5 years and I haven't had any complaints. Customer Service is usually always spot on as well.

I have a half dozen sites through inMotion Hosting. Some are very media/script heavy e-commerce sites, never had a hiccough in years. Rates are great, and the service is exceptional. You know you're talking to smart people when you call tech support.

I've used their Business class as well, no issues and very stable with an e-commerce site that gets 1000+ hits a day.

I use MindShift for a managed private server. No major problems in 8 years, and they make it very easy to upgrade your box as needed. If you're looking at VPS its probably a lot more than you need, but I'd suggest them if you outgrow VPS.

In my experience, GoDaddy is good but over charges for everything they offer (especially domain registration/privacy). You do get what you pay for, but they're not the best, or the best value. Personally, I stay away from HostGator and Blue, especially for business class. I've heard some horror stories.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input on In Motion. I have heard good things about them and they seem to be rated as a top VPS provider. Bluehost recently started offering VPS service so there are very few reviews on them. I just purchased some domain names thru Bluehost about 30 days ago and they said ICANN rules state that I have to wait 90 days before I can transfer a newly purchased domain to another provider. I realize I can point the URL to another provider but I would rather make a clean break so when I transfer the URL after 90 days I will not have any problems with downtime with my site.

Thanks for the input on In Motion. I have heard good things about them and they seem to be rated as a top VPS provider. Bluehost recently started offering VPS service so there are very few reviews on them. I just purchased some domain names thru Bluehost about 30 days ago and they said ICANN rules state that I have to wait 90 days before I can transfer a newly purchased domain to another provider. I realize I can point the URL to another provider but I would rather make a clean break so when I transfer the URL after 90 days I will not have any problems with downtime with my site.

You can have the domain registered with another host and when the switch happens it's completely seamless. For example, I bought some domains with godaddy auctions (and I hate godaddy) so I switched them to expertsrs.com when they were up. Nothing changed and their was zero downtime when I did the switch because they were pointed at the same IP address.

To make that a touch more clear. The registrar/dns service takes www.yoursite.com and when someone punches it in their browser they tell your browser that www.yoursite.com is actually 123.123.123.123, so it goes to 123.123.123.123 and asks the server for yoursite.com, then it sends the browser the content for yoursite.com. When you switch it to the new service it propagates, but you tell the new registrar/dns provider that when the switch goes through point the nameservers to 123.123.123.123 and then no matter what happens your site is still acessible via www.yoursite.com because in my situation whether it had godaddy info (original provider) or expertsrs (new provider), they were both pointing to the same server (123.123.123.123). I could at any point change it from pointing to 123.123.123.123 to 234.234.234.234 or stay with the same hosting of 123.123.123.123.

Does that make sense?

Back