Blog Formatting, Plugin, Etc?

Mick_Keyou

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
Blog post formatting?

I can't figure out what google terms to use (Post formatting?) to find this answer so I'll post it here.

My blog page is like most blogs where there are approximately 8-10 posts on the page, aligned in a vertical format and separated by Date & post title.

My problem is that I don't like how it looks because each blog post isn't clearly defined or separated by each post.

I see some blogs (not sure if it's theme dependent or if there are plugins to make them look better) that have their posts clearly defined.

Here are some examples:
Engadget
engadget has a bold title and a photo and a blurb. Each post also is framed in a white box.

Business Insider
Business insider very basic and broken up simply with title and photo.

Some have lines that separate the posts like
Gawker - Today's gossip is tomorrow's news

Any suggestions? I love blogs that alternate blog posts with framed boxes. If there's a plugin for this I would be very :biggrin:

Last edited:
I take it you're using wordpress for your blog? If so, you're probably looking for a different theme. Alternately, you can hire a wordpress developer to customize your theme to make the listing page more along the lines of what you are looking for.

I can't figure out what google terms to use (Post formatting?) to find this answer so I'll post it here.

My blog page is like most blogs where there are approximately 8-10 posts on the page, aligned in a vertical format and separated by Date & post title.

My problem is that I don't like how it looks because each blog post isn't clearly defined or separated by each post.

I see some blogs (not sure if it's theme dependent or if there are plugins to make them look better) that have their posts clearly defined.

Here are some examples:
Engadget
engadget has a bold title and a photo and a blurb. Each post also is framed in a white box.

Business Insider
Business insider very basic and broken up simply with title and photo.

Some have lines that separate the posts like
Gawker - Today's gossip is tomorrow's news

Any suggestions? I love blogs that alternate blog posts with framed boxes. If there's a plugin for this I would be very :biggrin:

You may be better off looking for another theme. There are thousands of free ones out there. Try out a few.

If you want to keep your current theme, i have a decent amount of WordPress and coding experience. Send me a pm if you want so I can see your blog. If I see that I can code what you need fairly quick, ill do it for no charge.

Thanks guys and thanks for the offer ben. I went ahead and tried a couple new themes.

Free themes generally are not secure and have coding issues. When WP makes a security update (which happens with some frequency) your free theme may break.

You are better off with a paid theme that is constantly updated. This is especially true if your hosting provider doesn't keep their back end in good shape.

You may have looked into this already but as well as themes and plugins to help with the format there are other ones that can help with stopping spamming, SEO, contact forms etc. You can build a comprehensive site without paying for developers...

Latest posts

Back