Buying Medicare Part B

One of my clients did not have enough quarters for Part B when he turned 65-because he had worked for the state most of his career. His spouse of over 10 years had the necessary quarters , so he can get his Part B through her. However, she is much younger; she is only 58 years old.
My questions are:

1) how old must the spouse be before he can get Part B through her work credits? ( some say it is age 62)

2) if he waits 4 years for her to turn 62 and then adds Part B, will he be penalized by Medicare for the four years of not purchasing Part B when he turned 65?

One of my clients did not have enough quarters for Part B when he turned 65-because he had worked for the state most of his career. His spouse of over 10 years had the necessary quarters , so he can get his Part B through her. However, she is much younger; she is only 58 years old.
My questions are:

1) how old must the spouse be before he can get Part B through her work credits? ( some say it is age 62)

2) if he waits 4 years for her to turn 62 and then adds Part B, will he be penalized by Medicare for the four years of not purchasing Part B when he turned 65?

You don't need work history to purchase Part B. That is for Part A. The wife needs to be 62 for him to get premium free Part A on her work history.

If he can remain on her employer group until she's 62, he can delay Part B without incurring a LEP.

My questions are:

Caveat, not an agent.

The spouse providing the work credits has to be eligible for social security, i.e. at least 62.

Can he get on spouse's employer plan?

Back