California Seeks Over 9 Billion in Fines for Pacificare

jbage007

Guru
100+ Post Club
Pacificare Faces a Staggering $9 BILLION Fine in CA

Guess we now know what the 4/4 commission change really was all about.

In court filings, the State Ins. Dept alleges that Pacificare violated California state law over 1 million times between 2006 and 2008 after United Healthcare bought the company.

Link to Story Here

Tsk, tsk. And to think United Healthcare was such an upstanding company.

:goofy:

"The health insurer violated state law nearly 1 million times from 2006 to 2008 after it was bought by UnitedHealth Group, the Department of Insurance says."

California regulators seek up to $9.9 billion in fines from PacifiCare - latimes.com

"Policyholders, meanwhile, inundated the Department of Insurance with complaints about PacifiCare losing their records, some of which were shipped to India, where they were miscoded and could not be retrieved. Many customers said the insurer denied claims for covered procedures and then ignored requests for help.

Cathy Wiser, a former PacifiCare policyholder from the San Fernando Valley, recalled her frustration with the company. Testifying at the outset of the administrative law hearing in December, she told how PacifiCare had rejected medical claims for her son, who had Crohn's disease, even after she repeatedly faxed over forms indicating that he was covered."

That's gotta be the biggest fine ever imposed on any company...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
or potentially imposed...

Last edited:
Well, thats one way to try and plug the hole in CA's finances....Hey Rick if elected what would you do in this case...

Here is a campaing pledge...If elected I will have my dept investigate and fine every insurance company doing business in this state to solve the states fiscal crisis and then run for Govenenator (because you have those chiselled looks like Arnold).

Here is a campaing pledge...If elected I will have my dept investigate and fine every insurance company doing business in this state to solve the states fiscal crisis and then run for Govenenator (because you have those chiselled looks like Arnold).

Okay, let's go with that.

Rick

Well, thats one way to try and plug the hole in CA's finances...

And to think that our government likes to call corporations greedy! Probably no fine would be brought at all if the greedy/needy California government didn't smell a goldmine in the parent company, United Healthcare. Smaller insurance companies probably break one law or another on a daily basis with impunity.

I'm totally sick of all these health insurers except BC/BS, the only reason I semi trust them is I have been a policyholder with them for 20 years with never an issue.

Back