Cancelling an MA plan through Medicare.gov

wehotex

Guru
1000 Post Club
Houston, Tex
An existing member calls me to tell me that he enrolled into MA2 for 1-1-18, but now wanted to stay with the existing MA. I re-enrolled him on Medicare.gov as “last one in” on Dec 7. Problem is that I thought that he had MA3 like his wife. When I realized the error, I told him that I entered the wrong MA plan and that the way to do it now was to call into MA3 to CANCEL it since it had not yet started. That would effectively put him back on existing MA. I looked on Medicare.gov and noticed that he’s back into MA2 for 1-1-18!!!
Too late to phone him this late at night. Is it possible that Medicare.gov “peeled him back” to the previous layer? Or he simply called the other rep and changed his mind to get back into MA2? By the way, there wasn’t a valid SEP left to use unless MA2 just processed it anyway. He didn’t seem like he was crazy about MA2 since his daughter badmouthed it. Medicare.gov is sloppy. It doesn’t even tell you what the plan’s effective date will be.

An existing member calls me to tell me that he enrolled into MA2 for 1-1-18, but now wanted to stay with the existing MA. I re-enrolled him on Medicare.gov as “last one in” on Dec 7. Problem is that I thought that he had MA3 like his wife. When I realized the error, I told him that I entered the wrong MA plan and that the way to do it now was to call into MA3 to CANCEL it since it had not yet started. That would effectively put him back on existing MA. I looked on Medicare.gov and noticed that he’s back into MA2 for 1-1-18!!!
Too late to phone him this late at night. Is it possible that Medicare.gov “peeled him back” to the previous layer? Or he simply called the other rep and changed his mind to get back into MA2? By the way, there wasn’t a valid SEP left to use unless MA2 just processed it anyway. He didn’t seem like he was crazy about MA2 since his daughter badmouthed it. Medicare.gov is sloppy. It doesn’t even tell you what the plan’s effective date will be.
If cancels everything he did during AEP by 12/31 he will continue with the plan he had this year. So he has one more cancellation to make. And you would have more quickly and simply resolved this by just instructing him to cancel his first AEP enrollment and not enrolled him in anything.

If cancels everything he did during AEP by 12/31 he will continue with the plan he had this year. So he has one more cancellation to make. And you would have more quickly and simply resolved this by just instructing him to cancel his first AEP enrollment and not enrolled him in anything.

Yes, I realize that now. So, it works that he actually needed to cancel BOTH in this situation to revert back to the existing MA?

This is the correct answer.

800-MEDICARE spokeshole says that we must also call the EXISTING plan to let them know that we wish to STAY.

I guess, but if you read the MA guidelines the plan he wants to stay with doesn't really have much control or can do anything to help.

Back