Canvassing Business Owners Article

DHK

RFC®, ChFC®, CLU®
5000 Post Club
ProducersWeb - My Practice - The dos and don'ts of canvassing to business owners

Kinda interesting article, but I think it misses the point.

While there are many vendors that drop in on business owners, I think that if you have 1-3 bullet points, instead of 'sugar coating' your desire to "network each other business"... will be much more direct, effective, genuine, and sincere.

If you're truly canvassing, you really don't have a "niche market" - except by geography. Sure, there are industrial blocks that are all automotive related and other centers like that... but if you're really going to canvass, you go into every business that has a door, and should have an owner 'on site'.

I agree with staying in touch, and asking for introductions, that's good. But under what premise? Wanting to 'network and refer each other business'? Unless you already have people to refer to them UP FRONT... and you have a way to hold yourself accountable to that activity, I just wouldn't do this.

Poorly written article.

There's better threads on how to do this right here, if you search for them.

Yeah, I especially like:

I’m not here to sell you my services, unless, of course, you think I can help you. What I am here to do, since you’re probably in the middle of a million things, is schedule a time for us to meet, and discuss — one business owner to another — how we can refer each other business.

Brilliant article!

:nah:

My name is Michael. I’m a financial rep from XYZ Financial Group. Like a lot of other financial guys that may visit you all the time, I have expertise in employee benefits, life insurance and financial planning. I’m focused on working with small business owners, specifically auto body shops and restaurants. I’m not here to sell you my services, unless, of course, you think I can help you. What I am here to do, since you’re probably in the middle of a million things, is schedule a time for us to meet, and discuss — one business owner to another — how we can refer each other business.

Nice speech. A business owner would have kicked your butt out the door after the second or third sentence.

And yeah, when someone is marketing to me and says "I'm not here to sell you something", I'm insulted.

Target potential strategic partners for a strategic partner meeting. Target possible clients for a fact-finding meeting.

That sounds like really bad advice.... like a lot of advice that I have been given.

The idea of pulling a "switch-a-roo," let's refer people, etc, to "aha, I am here to sell you something" sounds like a good idea to people who 1. Have never sold anything 2. Sell selling systems.

It goes against Adam Smith's division of labor and it just sounds really stupid. What are you going to say after this partnership to your clients? "hey now that we have your life insurance in place how is your transmission?"

That sounds like really bad advice.... like a lot of advice that I have been given.

The idea of pulling a "switch-a-roo," let's refer people, etc, to "aha, I am here to sell you something" sounds like a good idea to people who 1. Have never sold anything 2. Sell selling systems.

It goes against Adam Smith's division of labor and it just sounds really stupid. What are you going to say after this partnership to your clients? "hey now that we have your life insurance in place how is your transmission?"

You inserted an Adam Smith plug well done. :1wink:

just how many people is one agent going to know that will need auto services, etc. that he will be able to refer to all 50 shops he has in his book of business? The writer1s sugesstion is failed bait and switch scheme from the outset. if the business owner doesn't see through it immediately, he soon will when he gets no new business out of the "arrangement"

Here's a tack I take. Don't know if anyone has tried it before...

HONESTY!

I'm Bob Levine. I am an Insurance Agent. Since I can't get referred to everyone, sometimes I need to do something uncomfortable, like get in my car, and drive to an office park such as this, and introduce myself.

I SERIOUSLY doubt you were waiting for someone like me to walk through your doors. All I want to do is be the person you think of when a need arises. Actually, if you let me stay in touch, you'll find out before the need arises.

Fair enough?

Back