Change Carriers ... ? ? ?

Todd Preston

Expert
Hi Friends,

I have developed an inguinal hernia and need surgery.

My present PPO Avmed plan is coming up for renewal in June and i'm sure the rates are going to increase. The plan has high deductibles and it would cost alot if i go into the hospital.

I'm not makin much right now...as just startin out in Insurance...so I qualify for the Obama health plan but have to change now (march 31, deadline). This means that i will get assistance and probably only have to pay half the premium or less.

I want to have that surgery (not sure if it will be inpatient or out).

1. Should i change to a plan that is on the exchange?
2. Should i keep my present plan?
3. Will i get the same choice of Dr's (probably not).

The surgery is what i am concerned with...and whether my new carrier will cover any costs and of course what Dr's will take it.

Jesus...what to do?

Appreciate any constructive input.

~T

Hi Friends,

I have developed an inguinal hernia and need surgery.

Jesus...what to do?

Appreciate any constructive input.

~T

Hi Todd,
I'm not Jesus, but I suggest that you run yourself a quote on Healthcare.gov. If your income qualifies you for a really low deductible, change to an ACA plan. Of course, you realize that it won't kick-in until March 1st, don't you? With a hernia, you might not want to wait that long. It could strangulate, become gangrened and kill you before then.

Ref: Gangrene - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

-ac

I, and everyone else on this forum, will refer you to sit down with a licensed and exchange certified insurance professional from your state to discuss your private medical situation and financial needs. A national forum is not the place to ask for personal medical advice.

Your question cannot be answered in generalities, someone has to evaluate your needs: hospital by hospital, doctor by doctor, plan by plan, to find what your best course of action is.

1. Should i change to a plan that is on the exchange?
2. Should i keep my present plan?
3. Will i get the same choice of Dr's (probably not).

These are good questions!
I wish I had answers for you.
I only have 36 years in the health insurance business.
Hopefully, someone with more experience will chime in.

Glad to hear you sought out a professional, you did the right thing. I'm sure he provided you with service and knowledge you can't find on the internet.

Back