Client Lying About Medical History

G

You guys get this often?

I had an appointment and wrote life on husband and wife and the entire time they were telling me how healthy the husband is and blah, blah, blah. Filled out the apps, set up the paramed, done deal.

Paramed was two weeks ago and life underwriter just called to say the app was declined. No rate up, straight decline. I told her about how much bragging they were doing about his health and she just said, "he lied to you and to the paramed examiner. He probably won't even qualify for simplified issue and that's all I can say."

Makes me want to send them a bill for my 2 hour drive and sitting at their kitchen table til 9pm on a weeknight (during SHARKWEEK!)

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

They probably figured they had nothing to lose.

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel I get lied to about it every day I'm in the field. And sometimes it's not lying but just foolishness or denial or something. I can't seem to come up with the right term.

I've had people tell me how great they are healthwise when asking general questions and then when I get to direct specific questions it's like, "oh yeah, I did have that by-pass thingy a couple of years ago".

Someone lying and going throuh with an exam is not very common. I've had people back out of exams at the last minute and you kinda figure tey knew the gig was up.

I feel I get lied to about it every day I'm in the field. And sometimes it's not lying but just foolishness or denial or something. I can't seem to come up with the right term..............

Ssometimes it's foolishness.....sometimes denial.....sometimes stupidity......sometimes naivety.....sometimes its an entitlement mentality like they think insurance is like the government just doling it out.....sometimes it is just an outright attempt at fraud.

Last edited:
Ssometimes it's foolishness.....sometimes denial.....sometimes stupidity......sometimes naivety.....sometimes its an entitlement mentality like they think insurance is like the government just doling it out.....sometimes it is just an outright attempt at fraud.

The Underwriter indicated that it was a serious situation and that it was not a diagnosis that could be misunderstood, so I'm inclined to think they were being deceitful.

After I thought about it all it kind of made me see that they were really overselling themselves at the appointment. I've never had a client trying to convince me that they were that healthy before and it seems a little odd in retrospect. I guess at the time I was just thinking they were an unusual couple.

Hindsight is 20/20.

I feel like Dr. House a lot of times- I've become jaded and follow his mantra of "Everybody Lies". Sometimes your spidey sense tingles and you know, other times it comes right out of left field.
My favorites are the ones who lie about smoking. They walk in with a cloud of smoke, or their coffee table has a full ashtray. When you ask if they smoke or use tobacco- no. Uh. . . I tell them "Ok. . . if during the paramed, they find tobacco, your rates may be higher." They look at me and shake their head and smile. Like we don't know, or they won't get caught. Really?!?! This has happened to me on more than one occasion.

Ya, I had a guy go on and on about how healthy he was. Then the underwriter informed me it was a decline due to his diagnosis of cancer the previous month. They think we're not going to find this stuff out or something... Even if by some miracle it hadn't come up, he probably would have died within the contestability period anyway...

That's the worst case of someone trying to pull a fast one I've had. But it's not at all uncommon for people to "forget" stuff, or candy coat things. It's like people applying for auto insurance and saying they haven't had any tickets or accidents and then some pop up on the MVR.

I feel I get lied to about it every day I'm in the field. And sometimes it's not lying but just foolishness or denial or something. I can't seem to come up with the right term.

I've had people tell me how great they are healthwise when asking general questions and then when I get to direct specific questions it's like, "oh yeah, I did have that by-pass thingy a couple of years ago".

Someone lying and going throuh with an exam is not very common. I've had people back out of exams at the last minute and you kinda figure tey knew the gig was up.

I had a good one last week. I go to the door and the "lady" tells me "Ain't nobody called me to make no appointment! and besides, I TOLD them when they called I wasn't interested!". I couldn't help but laugh at her on her porch. She couldn't understand what was so funny:laugh:

Back