Coventry vs. United HealthCare: Which is Better?

AllenChicago

Guru
5000 Post Club

Well, it's beginning to look like the only companies that will have a generous wide PPO network in Illinois for 2016 will be Coventry, United Healthcare, & LOL, our state co-op.

Even though Illinois has had Coventry and UHC available for the past 2 years, the premiums have been too high, compared to Blue Cross. But, for 2016 the Medical Network and Premium dynamics are changing. UHC and Coventry stand a good chance at actually being competitive...which brings me to the question:

For those of you who have QHPlan clients on United Healthcare and/or Coventry, how do these two companies stack up when it comes to Customer Satisfaction and Agent Satisfaction? Thanx in advance!

-Allen

Both are manageable, UHC however has already merged systems with all the carriers they have purchased the past few years, whereas Aetna is probably getting ready to start merging data with Humana. Anytime that sort of thing goes on it us un-doubtable that issues will arise for both consumers and agents.

I sense a disturbance in the force where Aetna and Coventry are concerned. All other things equal, I would probably place the business with UHC until the mergers are complete.

I sell both UHC and Coventry in the St. Louis area and surrounding IL counties. Coventry PPO and uhc compass/navigate plus networks. I can tell you that Coventry is a nightmare to work with esp on exchange. Uhc has actually been pretty smooth. Not sure what part of IL your referencing but hopefully that helps.

Thanks for that valuable feedback Oregon Dave and KStein. While Aetna-Coventry may "try harder", due to the impending merger with Humana, you're saying that United Health is more established in the new ACA realm. Got it!

Now, we'll see what the premiums for those two will be. Naturally that will be a major factor, from the client/prospect perspective. Thanks again!

-Allen

Thanks for that valuable feedback Oregon Dave and KStein. While Aetna-Coventry may "try harder", due to the impending merger with Humana, you're saying that United Health is more established in the new ACA realm. Got it!

Now, we'll see what the premiums for those two will be. Naturally that will be a major factor, from the client/prospect perspective. Thanks again!

-Allen

That's complete bs, Allen, Aetna and Coventry have done an excellent job this year for my clients with no payment issues while UHC has had many, many problems with client payments, wrongful terminations, and holding back on commissions while they 'research' why their system screwed up.

That's complete bs, Allen, Aetna and Coventry have done an excellent job this year for my clients with no payment issues while UHC has had many, many problems with client payments, wrongful terminations, and holding back on commissions while they 'research' why their system screwed up.

I know it I know it

UHC/UHO all the way. Have had a nightmare with Coventry and my commissions for the last 2 years.

Did you two write a total of 5 apps this yr with UHC?

I sell both UHC and Coventry in the St. Louis area and surrounding IL counties. Coventry PPO and uhc compass/navigate plus networks. I can tell you that Coventry is a nightmare to work with esp on exchange. Uhc has actually been pretty smooth. Not sure what part of IL your referencing but hopefully that helps.

Don't know how relevant this is given the mergers, but in 2015 Humana's POS -- which was really more like a PPO -- included Chicagoland-dominant Advocate Health in its otherwise-narrow network. So it was more "medium" than narrow.

Last edited:
Back