Delayed Part B COVERAGE

Never had the issue

My thought is lifetime penalty If it were Me I would go down to SS with correct forms and plead with them to fix it

I assume it was just done and the effective date is not yet begun and the end date of cov is within 3 months

I would maybe say i was misinformed on how to apply

I am just guessing its worth a shot

Not saying it will work

Though you have some good suggestions as well
No one office is opened in our area (Chicagoland).

A similar situation: My clients insist ( a couple), that they never got their Part A card, and now we can't go ahead with their Part B application. What I can do on behalf of them? They can't explain well why they don't have such a card.

Tell them to log into their MySSA to see if they were issued Part A coverage or not. If they have never had A they can apply now without penalty in most cases.

Part A will be retroactive up to 6 months from the date of the application but not prior to their 65th birthday.

Sigh.

SSA is a total cluster right now. About 50% of my SEP people are being processed incorrectly. Faxes are no longer working.

If she’s not supposed to be subject to the LEP, she needs to call and get it fixed and ask where and who to fax the SEP form.

she's not sure how she filed.

If she went through the SSA portal and did not file as an SEP this is where the trouble started. It still seems as if she filed during the GEP, completely ignoring the SEP available.

because she didn't pre-enroll she could not have a 7/21 effective date for part B. That coverage would be 3months after she turns 66

What does her birthday have to do with Medicare? You can file for Medicare (almost) anytime after your 6 month birthday.

AFAIK you can file during your IEP, GEP or if you have an SEP (loss of creditable coverage). Your IEP is tied to your birthday . . . the other two are not.

Well the client called and the rep.@ ss informed her she did not file incorrectly and that she would not incur a penalty. He stated that because she didn't pre-enroll she could not have a 7/21 effective date for part B. That coverage would be 3months after she turns 66 -7/22.

This is confusing to me since I would think her part A wouldn't require enrollment and the date would be 4/1/21. and part B, 4/1/22 Her dob 4/56 .I do know some working individuals have to activate their benefits, but I am unaware of why .She just applied in February for B received the card last week. I have not spoken to her yet, but hoping she got a name.

Caveat, not an agent.

I believe the Part B penalty is assessed on 12 month blocks of time without coverage. Your case notes would give her 6 months without coverage. That is probably why the SS rep said there would be no penalty assessed.

It might be that the easiest way (albeit somewhat more expensive) through the situation would be to just take cobra or short term coverage for the gap time (although with Dec termination date maybe cobra is no longer an option).

Well the client called and the rep.@ ss informed her she did not file incorrectly and that she would not incur a penalty. He stated that because she didn't pre-enroll she could not have a 7/21 effective date for part B. That coverage would be 3months after she turns 66 -7/22.

Caveat, not an agent

That paragraph is a bit confusing, but I think the SS rep is making some kind of reference to the Medicare IEP which is the 7 months surrounding your 65 birthday. A person with an April birthday signing up in May would get a july effective date.

This is confusing to me since I would think her part A wouldn't require enrollment

Keep in mind that ENTITLEMENT to premium free Part A coverage and ENROLLMENT in premium free Part A coverage are two different things.

I get it, I agree with you and Vic it has to be the initial filing .I just completed 2 delayed part B. 1 with 1/22 effective date, the other 2/1.
Both individuals Part A auto-enrolled IEP 2012, .IEP 2009. Both applied 2weeks prior to
receiving PART B by mail.No issues both in Georgia.Both loss of employee coverage
The only difference, this client is in ILL.I have asked for her to send me the initial file
so that I can review and if need be to do a 3way conf with them not just take their word.
I started the post because this was unusual in that she would have a long gap before receiving her benefits and as explained later by them she enrolled late.

Tell them to log into their MySSA to see if they were issued Part A coverage or not. If they have never had A they can apply now without penalty in most cases.

Part A will be retroactive up to 6 months from the date of the application but not prior to their 65th birthday.
Thank you. Will see where they are. Some people are lost and waiting someone to do it on behalf of them.

and as explained later by them she enrolled late.

Caveat, not an agent

I don't know who "them" is, your client or SSA, but in either case, where does "enrolled late" come from? She enrolled within 8 months of termination of employer health coverage.

It is possible you have a problem both with your client's initial enrollment AND her attempts to understand your questions, ask them correctly of an SSA representative and correctly convey their responses to you.

Last edited:
Back