Direct Mail vs Texting

gerano

Expert
I'm an agent of many years. My specialty for the past 30 years was group canvassing (canvassing for group health), but group health is no longer the answer. I've just recently purchased a monthly list program. I use the list to generate direct mail letters (as I did in the 12 years prior to group health sales) to a target audience (couples aged 40 to 70), but I can target any audience I like. I then craft my letters according to the usual needs and curiosities of that audience.

My question is: Does this work as it did years ago? How does it compare to the latest texting campaigns?

Any advice or tales of experience would be greatly appreciated.

Direct mail definitely still has its place, even in our digital age. I've noticed it can stand out more nowadays since people get fewer physical letters, making a well-crafted, personalized mail piece quite effective. It feels more personal and less intrusive than a barrage of digital messages.

Man, direct mail isn't dead. In fact, getting something in the mailbox can actually make you stand out these days, since everyone's inbox is overflowing but their actual mailbox? Not so much. It's got a bit of a novelty factor now, especially for the 40 to 70 crowd you're targeting. But texting? Lightning fast and super direct. If you've got a message that's timely or needs a quick action, nothing beats a text. Just make sure it's not too spammy. Heard through the grapevine about folks using some savvy marketing mail solutions to blend the old-school charm of direct mail with the efficiency of digital tracking.

Last edited:
Man, direct mail isn't dead. In fact, getting something in the mailbox can actually make you stand out these days, since everyone's inbox is overflowing but their actual mailbox? Not so much. It's got a bit of a novelty factor now, especially for the 40 to 70 crowd you're targeting.

It’s not dead no doubt but I’d say it’s more of challenge to get people to answer the phone and the door than even 2-3 yrs ago . The last several weeks I’m noticing more and more Trailers with Ring bells . Also unless you’re running a teaser with some type of freebie for the client like a Walmart gift card your returns will be bad in most places . I just recently dropped 10k mailers with a some freebies and got .5% return. Thats $105 a card . Tough to net much when you’re paying $105 a card .And I disagree that the low income is not getting 5 plus mailers a week min. I see them at peoples homes all the time still

Direct mail is dead. Most agents just tape their cards to water bottles and toss them to people as they walk down the street. They almost all call you. It works best on real hot days.

But direct mail? No! I wouldn't do that. Probably wouldn't work.

Back