Excess Casualty Underwriting

Excess_

I’m a new Excess Casualty Underwriter and I’m wondering if anyone has any experience or advice for me. So, we really only care about the really bad losses, so not too worried about trip and falls, etc.

In my prior role, we had websites and resources to help and guide us through decision making. I’m not finding the same in the Excess space. Does anyone have any suggestions or resources they’ve used in the past to help guide them through an excess casualty submission?

For example, are there any actual resources (besides OSHA violations or product recall news articles) that would help an underwriter make a decision on a risk for, let’s say a meat processor, or a large retail store, or a local hotel chain, or a general contracting risk or even a manufacturer.

I would appreciate any insight!

I’m a new Excess Casualty Underwriter and I’m wondering if anyone has any experience or advice for me. So, we really only care about the really bad losses, so not too worried about trip and falls, etc.

In my prior role, we had websites and resources to help and guide us through decision making. I’m not finding the same in the Excess space. Does anyone have any suggestions or resources they’ve used in the past to help guide them through an excess casualty submission?

For example, are there any actual resources (besides OSHA violations or product recall news articles) that would help an underwriter make a decision on a risk for, let’s say a meat processor, or a large retail store, or a local hotel chain, or a general contracting risk or even a manufacturer.

I would appreciate any insight!

So, I'm a retail commercial producer. From my experience, underwriters are much more concerned about multiple claims, than a large claim. The thinking is that claims happen, especially if it's a large operation. While every once in a while a big claim can happen, that's not necessarily a sign of a poorly run operation, while many claims proportionate to the size of the operation, likely is. Now I understand you would look at this differently at an excess underwriter, but still I find your statement a little surprising.

Back