GA State Health Benefit Plan

alphawave2k

Guru
100+ Post Club
Ok GA fans, I got one of my body parts caught in the ringer when I turned 65 so I need to find out for sure.I signed up for Medicare and didn't inform the GA School system, where my wife was a teacher at the time and it cost me dearly because they retained me in their under 65 plan, and later on extracted a ridiculous amount of $ for 2 months of coverage.
Just advised someone T65 to sign up for Part A to inform the school system that they signed up for Part A only, forgo Part B for the time being but that they should announce that so they won't suffer the same shakedown I did.
Those that know how this works, please weigh in. Thank you

Below is the answer to my own question. I've gotten used to dealing with the middle of the road insanity and normal EGH rules, that this extreme insanity blind-sided me again!

SHBP is not responsible for your enrollment in Medicare Part B nor any delays you encounter with enrolling in Medicare Part B. If you have not provided SHBP your (or your Dependent’s) Medicare Part B information at least one month prior to your (or your Dependent’s) 65th birthday or your retirement date if you continued to work past age 65, you will remain in a SHBP Commercial (non-Medicare Advantage) plan option, your premium will not be subsidized by SHBP, and you will be responsible for the entire costs of coverage which is substantially higher than your current premium. You may reduce your premiums prospectively if you provide your Medicare Part B information to SHBP.

Assuming your wife is still working and all you have is A they can't enroll you in the SHBP MAPD plan.

Unless the rules have changed, your wife will have to contact HR to drop you off her plan once your Part B is effective. You should not have an LEP.

She will also need to contact Anthem or UHC to let them know to drop you off the SHBP coverage and let Medicare know as well.

I went through this a few years ago and it took about 4 months to get Anthem to acknowledge I was no longer covered under the group plan and Medicare was primary.

To be clear, it's not me nor my wife, just a client I was trying to help out. He dragged his butt through this since we started talking about it in February, his B'day, but he's been "too busy" and wanted me to help him sign up for his Medicare, and it's been a total screw up, which I won't go into detail here, and just now finally applies for his Medicare.

Assuming your wife is still working and all you have is A they can't enroll you in the SHBP MAPD plan.
Yes, this is true for any further plan past Medicare as well.

My main concern and partly "mea culpa" is that this SBHP Mafia (I'll call them) won't let you off the hook. They automatically will enroll you as per their "rules" in a SHBP commercial, non Medicare plan (obviously), without any subsidy at a ridiculous monthly premium.

It cost me close to $2K for 2-3 months for this wonderful coverage, and they wouldn't budge on this. And this I'm afraid, is what this poor guy is being faced with. His wife has been on the fence about continuing to work or retiring, though she's not 65 yet. What a %^&*(! mess dealing with the GA SHBP system. The HR Dept seems very lackadaisical about sounding the warning alarm on this type of penalty. I think it's borderline criminal.

Posting to let others know about this major pitfall, at least in the GA SHB program.

SBHP Mafia (I'll call them) won't let you off the hook. They automatically will enroll you as per their "rules" in a SHBP commercial, non Medicare plan (obviously), without any subsidy at a ridiculous monthly premium.

Yup. They have a "right" to do that. Expensive lesson. Fortunately you only turn 65 once . . .

Back