Getting That Initial Appointment With A Prospect...

updated with google docs link

Lately, I have been struggling to get that first appointment with my leads. Now that my natural market is running thin I have been working for a few months trying to get business through various types of telemarketing (about 1500 dials a week) and door to door (about 35-45 per day). I am getting plenty of people who want to get quotes (25-30 per week) but only one or two people per week who are willing to meet in person. Ideally I would like at least two or three people per DAY!

I have several different approaches and none have worked very successfully. The most frustrating thing is that once I can get in front of someone I can get the sale a good chunk of the time since I can offer some of the best auto and home rates in the city. Its selling that first appointment that I struggle with.

So, I sat down over the weekend, decided to stop trying to wing it, read through some sales and prospecting books and this forum and wrote down any ideas I thought would be valuable.

I then wrote out a call process that should help me out. I don't want to C&P the whole thing here since its about two pages double spaced so here is a google docs link: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B2N6zoKhhGn-bmFGRUtfREZxVEk

Any comments positive, negative or in between are greatly appreciated. And any other tips or tricks you can give will be welcomed with open arms. I am getting tired of people just asking me for the quote over the phone and then me never hearing from them again...

Also, I am primarily selling personal lines P&C (90%) with some life (10%). And if anyone is willing to role play this with me I would love some live constructive criticism!

Last edited:
Sounds like you are doing a great job prospecting between calls and canvasing.

You may have trouble getting in front of people because they don't want to sit down with someone to talk about home and auto rates. You have already gone through the process of introducing your self and the company you represent, why don't you just get the necessary info over the phone, quote it up, and then email/fax/or mail it to them. If they like the number maybe then they will sit down with you..

I am getting plenty of people who want to get quotes (25-30 per week) but only one or two people per week who are willing to meet in person.

Asking for a "quote" is sometimes used as a polite way to say "no". Instead of wasting time doing all these "quotes" that don't pan out, try this; when they say they want a quote, ask them WHY.

It should help you weed it out a little.

Why not seek X-dates instead and permission to contact them six weeks before X-date or whatever?

Asking for a "quote" is sometimes used as a polite way to say "no". Instead of wasting time doing all these "quotes" that don't pan out, try this; when they say they want a quote, ask them WHY.

It should help you weed it out a little.

This is exactly what I am getting at. People are getting these quotes and then saying they will get back with me. Just another way of blowing me off. And they always end up dodging my calls and ignoring my emails.

When I can get them in person its much easier to get things going the way I would like. The other big benefit to doing things in person is it is much easier for me to run several different quotes for them and get an actual look at the current policies. Plus I have to meet them eventually anyway so I can look at their vehicles and their home.

And as far as the x-dates suggestion; I would take that as a last resort. If they aren't interested in meeting in person I would at least like the chance to talk with them closer to their renewals.

Still looking for someone to help me post me link so if anyone is willing PM or email me at [email protected]. Thanks!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I felt like I should expand on my thoughts about what xrac posted...

Even if someone flat out tells be to go to hell and leave them alone, I try and find even the smallest reason to keep them in my sales funnel.

When I said getting an x-date is often a last resort that is in reference to trying to get them to agree to an appointment. If they respond with something like "I'm not interested in switching because I just renewed my policies last month" then I will ask if its OK for me to contact them near that time.

My hope is that regardless of their renewal date, if I can get a face to face I can convince them to change midstream.

Coming from a sales job where my appointments were pre-set and pre-qualified this has been quite a change for me. In an ideal world I would have a CSR doing this part for me but I need to figure it out myself before hiring someone to do it.

I had an old sales manager that once told me that everyone is a customer, they might just not know it yet... My job is to either convince them now or in the future.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
updated with my google docs link so if there is anyone willing to take some time to read through it and give me an opinion I thank you in advance!

Last edited:
Back