Glacoma is the Only Health Issue. Help in NW GA

kennethbroyles

Guru
100+ Post Club
First let me say I don't do much individual health. Yesterday I met a couple living in NW Georgia currently paying $208 COBRA premium (85% paid by former employer) ending 6/31/11 for a 5k deductible 80/20 plan. The husband is on medicare now, but she will need a individual plan for the next 1.5 years until she is 65. She is very healthy except for the Glaucoma. What do you advise?

Keep the COBRA as long as possible. Re-evaluate in May. Things are constantly changing. She can get UHC/GR with a rider, same for Humana.

Premium will be xs of $200 and less benefits than she has with COBRA.

If hubby is healthy, he might be ready to save money on Medigap. That sale will compensate you while waiting on July to roll around. Keep in mind she may not be able to afford what you have in the summer. Even if she can afford it she may not be willing to look at a $7.5k deductible, no copays, no coverage for glaucoma.

STM may be the only thing she can afford then.

Then when she turns 65 you are ready to write Medigap on her.

At her age $208 month isn't bad, unless she goes to Aetna w a 10K deductible (approx $146, Rome GA zip). They don't mentions eyes at all in their underwriting guidelines though. Knuckleheads. You would probably need to give them a call to find out. Even if they took her they would probably rate her up so she would probably be better off to stay right where she is for as long as possible, it's better coverage it sounds like.

Back