Health insurance option as a self-employed individual

daveshea

I'm a self-employed insurance agent, specializing in the Medicare market. My current health insurance is provided through COBRA from my former job before becoming self-employed.

I'm off to a good start, but my one major "unknown" for the future is what I am going to do about health insurance for my family. My wife stays at home with our two year old twins.

I have no employees, and the "exchange plans" aren't an option for us here in St. Louis, MO because the networks are completely inadequate.

I'm wanting to find a way to join a group of some sort that will allow my access to a health insurance plan with a network similar to my former large employer.

I've sent in a request to learn about the options offered through NASE - the National Association for the Self Employed, that apparently offers some sort of group benefit to self employed people. I don't know what that will turn out to be.

Any suggestions as to what I can do? I'm hoping that the "association health plans" being talked about could be a solution, but have no idea when that might be offered.

I'd appreciate any help or guidance.
-David

Hi David. I'm in saint Louis also and might have some ideas. Send me a pm with your phone number and I could give you some insight.

Here is the question. I am a NJ agent and have a client who apparently signed up with Horizon BCBS, through the marketplace, during an SEP from August 2017 until the end of the year.

The client visited my office and decided that he no longer wanted to go with a marketplace exchange plan and just wanted to go off-exchange for whatever reason.

Based on conversation I had with one of my contacts, I was told to simply take a new off-exchange application. I then received an email from Blue Cross stating the individual would need to "cancel" his marketplace plan in order to get an off-exchange plan with Blue Cross for 2018.

Does anyone know how to cancel a marketplace plan and to then quickly enroll in an off-exchange plan with the same carrier? Would it be simply calling the toll free number for the marketplace and stating that they wish to cancel marketplace coverage as of the end of the year?

Answers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

I've sent in a request to learn about the options offered through NASE - the National Association for the Self Employed, that apparently offers some sort of group benefit to self employed people. I don't know what that will turn out to be.
The lesser of these two evils would be to take the ACA plan with the $hitty network.

@123insure, NEVER cancel an in-force contract until new coverage is in effect.

"Sorry, you no longer have any coverage because you acted on my recommendation " is not something you want to say.

Back