Humana Consumer Advocate?

somarco

GA Medicare Expert
5000 Post Club
Atlanta
Is there someone in home office that is a consumer advocate (ombudsman) that can help with consumer direct questions about policy issue, billing, etc? A real person with a name and contact number or email, not a stupid hotline.

Long time client is having some issues and I can't find answers to his questions. He had a Humana policy, wife and kids on a separate policy. He missed the "Hey your policy is being cancelled and here's your new rates" letter. A number of factors made it advantageous to combine everyone under one new policy with a Jan 1 eff date.

He started the new application before 12/15 but did not submit until a week later, within Humana's "grace" period for 1/1/15 eff dates.

The new policy was approved but has not yet been issued. They did take his $$.

They also took $$ for the old policy on wife and kids but not his old policy.

A week ago AWB showed a policy number for his wife and kids and for him but not for the new policy. Now they don't show any policy numbers.

Agent no-service can't help without a policy number, neither can billing.

Any suggestions?

Start yelling. Do not get off the phone until you get an answer?

DOI?

Your sales rep? Someone who is allowed to think.

I think this is why I don't use Humana much. Although I will say when I call the broker hotline, they are always helpful and seem to actually want to fix the problem. I would get them on the phone and say "here's the issue. What do I do?"

You've probably already done all this, though.

Ugh.

If I didn't use Humana I would not have had anything to sell for the last 5 years. They have been consistently competitive the entire time.

It's like other places where BX owns the market. You can curse all you want but if you want to write business you use them.

If I didn't use Humana I would not have had anything to sell for the last 5 years. They have been consistently competitive the entire time.

It's like other places where BX owns the market. You can curse all you want but if you want to write business you use them.

Gotta love em...........

Is there someone in home office that is a consumer advocate (ombudsman) that can help with consumer direct questions about policy issue, billing, etc? A real person with a name and contact number or email, not a stupid hotline.

No. There is not. You have to make your connections through Humana, via your work and how many clients you have with them. This sounds like a marketplace plan - although there is a % to be wrong.

Long time client is having some issues and I can't find answers to his questions. He had a Humana policy, wife and kids on a separate policy. He missed the "Hey your policy is being cancelled and here's your new rates" letter. A number of factors made it advantageous to combine everyone under one new policy with a Jan 1 eff date.

When you state they are 'separate' policies - and if this is a marketplace plan, you realize you can change 'groups' and put them together - which is better? If he had a separate policy for any other reason, it makes no sense & you would have to explain the reason of why he chose so. And, it is his failure on not notifying you of that letter.

He started the new application before 12/15 but did not submit until a week later, within Humana's "grace" period for 1/1/15 eff dates.

Humana is strictly following ACA enrollment laws. THE GRACE period is for payment only. He did NOT submit application timely - this is why I FEEL it is a Marketplace plan. He will get 3/1/2015, unless a quick agent steps in.

The new policy was approved but has not yet been issued. They did take his $$.

This is because they are waiting for information to load to all departments. Again, this is why I wonder if it is a Marketplace plan. Off Marketplace plans are rather quick.

They also took $$ for the old policy on wife and kids but not his old policy.

This is because the Federal Government has only submitted 1/2 information - or did a rollover. Out of all my clients, I have had 100 that the transmission of plans have NOT occurred properly or applications made inactive. You have to do a 3-way with Humana and Marketplace, and get it straightened out. (Again, you have NOT explained if this is an ACA plan & I could help you more if you were a bit more open.).

A week ago AWB showed a policy number for his wife and kids and for him but not for the new policy. Now they don't show any policy numbers.

This is normal. I go off our commission statements ONLY and my records. I can never find all my clients on my AWB.

Agent no-service can't help without a policy number, neither can billing.

Any suggestions?

I hoped I helped. Good luck.

P.S. Humana does take SS# to look up clients. You don't need policy numbers. Billing is different department. Currently they basically stopped all calls to them. You can only send them "critical" requests. And finally, I am an Independent Agent, BUT HUMANA does refunds, and truly work to maintain a high client ethic. I have found that they do bend over for clients. If you get a bad person on the phone, just hang up. They are very slim. Call again, and get a new one.

Last edited:
No, this is not a subsidized plan. I never have and never will write subsidized business.

Regardless of what you FEEL, I know the circumstances and I do know the difference in subsidized and non-subsidized off exchange plans.

Husband was on one plan due to underwriting, wife and kids on a separate plan.

Humana finally issued the new plan with a 1/1/15 eff date and refunded premium on the wife's plan. The new plan is still not showing up as in force on AWB ....... along with 50+ other clients.

Before this Obamacare crap, I never had problems getting policies issued, refunds processed or finding clients on AWB.

It also didn't take 90 days to get paid on new business and they didn't lose 50 clients and can't find them. Even Humana can't tell me where most of these people are including the ones that have received approval notices almost 2 months ago. They don't know the policy number, will tell me and my clients they are not "in the system" and they sure as hell haven't issued policies or ID cards for people who have coverage eff 1/1/15.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back