If you inquire about a Homeowners claim on a roof does that go on your clue?

DonP

Guru
1000 Post Club
My friend who has many rentals told me he inquired with his agent about making a hail damage claim on his roof. He ended up never filing a claim. 3-4 month’s later he shopped his homeowners around and when they ran the clue it showed up he inquired about making a claim.They couldn’t insure him because of that . That seems crazy as he never made a claim. Is that true?

Is that true?

It's true.

Your friend told his agent he had hail damage. His agent was obligated to report it to the insurance company. The damage report was entered into CLUE. Now he's shopping and underwriters are seeing a property with an unrepaired damaged roof.

Your friend might as well complete the claim and get the roof replaced.

He's already seeing the rate increases.

It's true.

Your friend told his agent he had hail damage. His agent was obligated to report it to the insurance company. The damage report was entered into CLUE. Now he's shopping and underwriters are seeing a property with an unrepaired damaged roof.

Your friend might as well complete the claim and get the roof replaced.

He's already seeing the rate increases.

What if they deny the claim ? They paid nothing out . Your saying they’ll still raise my rates ? I recall getting a roof 20 yrs ago on hail damage and never got a rate increase . It will still prevent a homeowner from getting a new policy with another co as they see it as a future potential claim ?

So was there an actual inspection that showed a need for repair or was the homeowner just speculating?

What if they deny the claim ? They paid nothing out . Your saying they’ll still raise my rates ? I recall getting a roof 20 yrs ago on hail damage and never got a rate increase . It will still prevent a homeowner from getting a new policy with another co as they see it as a future potential claim ?
Posts in this forum over the last 6-8 months suggest that the current property insurance coverage situations are probably dramatically different today than they were 20 years ago.

(Rather like someone complaining because they can't get the same quality of, and price for, health insurance coverage they had 20 years ago.)

Carriers exiting markets and horrendous rate increases.

After reading here, it seems to me that your friend may be fortunate to have any coverage for his rentals and personal home.

Don't call unless you know you have damage or you know your company is moving from Replacement Cost to ACV. You will probably get cancelled if in wrong state after payout.

It shows up as $0 paid. But still counts as a claim as all claims have admin costs. In a hard market-no preferred carrier will insure someone with a claim on their home.

Back