Individual Health Clients Turning 65

I don't know how many health agents do the Supps for their turning 65 crowd (if you don't, you're lazy), but I've been doing this for a few years now and have found an odd pattern. If I contact them, they may or may not use me for med supps. If they contact me for info, they almost always use me.

You may say, duh, but my point is it seems that being assertive with your current clients or ones that you've had for years may not be as fruitful, as you would expect.

Have any other health agents had this experience?

It would seem to suggest that the ones you have to call never truly saw you as their insurance solution guy. Apparently they just saw you as the guy who sold them health insurance.

I don't know how many health agents do the Supps for their turning 65 crowd (if you don't, you're lazy), but I've been doing this for a few years now and have found an odd pattern. If I contact them, they may or may not use me for med supps. If they contact me for info, they almost always use me.

You may say, duh, but my point is it seems that being assertive with your current clients or ones that you've had for years may not be as fruitful, as you would expect.

How many clients have you contacted about med supps that have not purchased one from you?

It would seem to suggest that the ones you have to call never truly saw you as their insurance solution guy. Apparently they just saw you as the guy who sold them health insurance.

I didn't elaborate in the first post, but this is what makes it so peculiar, and so difficult not to get pissed off. They continue to be clients for one health product or another, and sources of referrals.

Most of the time I find out that they got their med supp elsewhere, when they call me back for FE, PDP, Dental, or some other ancillary health product. Had one the other day that just killed me. She got her's direct over a year ago, but sent me 3 of her employees for health insurance. Next, she tells me to send her med supp info, she's thinking of changing. I had given her up for dead 18 months ago.

It could be that they just got so bogged down with info. from professional medicare agents that they just caved. I don't know.

I didn't elaborate in the first post, but this is what makes it so peculiar, and so difficult not to get pissed off. They continue to be clients for one health product or another, and sources of referrals.

Most of the time I find out that they got their med supp elsewhere, when they call me back for FE, PDP, Dental, or some other ancillary health product. Had one the other day that just killed me. She got her's direct over a year ago, but sent me 3 of her employees for health insurance. Next, she tells me to send her med supp info, she's thinking of changing. I had given her up for dead 18 months ago.

It could be that they just got so bogged down with info. from professional medicare agents that they just caved. I don't know.

Its possible. The right guy walked in and the right time, so they bought from him instead.

If they weren't actively calling you for other products, I would say they just never think to call when there is a need. But obviously this isn't the case.

\

Same thing here. It also depends on how far out from going on medicare you talk to them Medigap Insurance

Last edited:
I ran T65 reports for 2011 several weeks ago on existing clients.
I start contacting everyone turning age 65, 3 to 4 months prior, to let them know they need to enroll in Part A & B of Medicare. I let them know I can help them, 1) Cancel their existing expensive under 65 plan, 2) Enroll them in a med supp, and 3) Enroll them in a Part D Rx plan.
I enclose a stamped self return envelope and I ask them to forward me a copy of their Medicare Id card upon receipt. They almost all all send me a copy.
Out of about 40 T65's last year, I maybe lost 5, and, those 5 went with other agents using a med supp company I'm also an agent for.
You need to understand, with these T65's, every day they go to their mail box, there is med supp info.

I ran T65 reports for 2011 several weeks ago on existing clients.
I start contacting everyone turning age 65, 3 to 4 months prior, to let them know they need to enroll in Part A & B of Medicare. I let them know I can help them, 1) Cancel their existing expensive under 65 plan, 2) Enroll them in a med supp, and 3) Enroll them in a Part D Rx plan.
I enclose a stamped self return envelope and I ask them to forward me a copy of their Medicare Id card upon receipt. They almost all all send me a copy.
Out of about 40 T65's last year, I maybe lost 5, and, those 5 went with other agents using a med supp company I'm also an agent for.
You need to understand, with these T65's, every day they go to their mail box, there is med supp info.

You certainly understand the problem. You don't get hacked at the 12.5% that ditched you on the med supp? Really, that's about the number I'm dealing with, but I don't go to the effort you do to secure them as Medicare Clients so now I don't feel quite as bad about them, but think I need to do a little extra.

Good post, keep up the good work.

I dont call any of my existing clients that are turning 65 but I do forward them proposals 3-4 months before thier 65 birthday with a letter remiinding them to registed for A & B. I also save every lead that my office generates wether it was a sale or non-sale and put in into a file. All of the turning 65 leads will get medicare proposlas from my office. If they purchase great..if not then on to the next.

Back