Insight into United Health One's Effective Date Change

If the applicant's health changes before the effective date it is their responsibility to notify the carrier. This is true with all carriers, not just GR.

This new rule means even less business coming their way. Can't tell you how many calls I get that start out "My COBRA is expiring in a week and I need coverage . . ."

The bad news is, GR is just about the only carrier still offering riders in GA so they are still my "go to" carrier for folks too sick to qualify for other carriers or where the rate up is absurd.

What are your thoughts on plugging the 30 day cap with short term?

Say I write a GR case today with an Oct 3rd effective date. Client has no current coverage. At minimum (barring pre-ex) they are covered for an accident or illness.

Problem is, that likely knocks their app out of UW, however, without the short term their app is still knocked out but they don't have any coverage.

Using STM to fill the gap is preferable to having no coverage but it does not waive the underwriting review that could occur if the health changes in the interim. BCBSGA used to (and maybe still does) allow you to take out an STM with them and will consider that "continuity" when it dovetails into a major med plan. In other words, no additional underwriting.

Back