Is .net Bad?

When I first got into domaining I purchased different extensions like .us, .net, .info and others. I have now either sold or dropped all of my non-.com exensions and exclusively deal with dot-coms.

The reason is for Branding purposes. Everyone knows that Dot Com is King and this adds tremendous resale value to your website. You always run the risk of the Dot Com owner of your domain name building a business and stealing all your marketing efforts.

Granted, there are plenty of examples of .net's and .org's becoming huge successful businesses, but they almost always go back and get the dot-com.

So, in essence does it really matter? Not really. A website is just an advertisement to get leads. As long as you are promoting your site and getting leads then who cares? But, if you want to be the best then you will need a brandable Dot Com.

for what it is worth, I have a family member in the SEO business and I agree, .com is better than most. I also learnt that if your golden domain name was taken, just add "info" to the end. ie: you want www.lifeinsurancegeorgia.com and it is unavailable. Just add "info" to the end, www.lifeinsurancegeorgiainfo.com and waalaa! It's usually available. FOR SEO only!

Now, please send 25 bucks to my paypal account for that valuable knowledge!

So is a .net address that bad vs. having a .com?

Dot com is king. If at all possible, always go dot com (hence my username). Now, I'd rather have a one word or short two word .net than a very long .com. That is unless the long .com is very generic and not distinctive.

So how much does a "Premium" (their words) Domain go for???

Buying a domain name is an investment, not simply a URL that you register for a website. To register a quality domain name today, you'd have to pretty much go back to 2000-2002. Today, they come at a premium. It's not a bad thing, just an investment decision.

There are domain names purchased for branding purposes and other domain names purchased for seo purposes. Some industry domain names that have sold are:

InsuranceCheap.com $12,500
ChildrensLifeInsurance.com $17,500
FloridaAutoInsurance.com $15,000
HealthInsuranceCoverage.com $18,000
FamilyInsurance.com $57,000
TeenCarInsurance.com $23,000
HomeOwnersInsurance.com $570,000

The list goes on, but you see how these type of names differ from isellinsuranceincitystate.com. Clearly, not everyone has a personal budget of $50,000 - $500,000, but acquiring a solid domain name can really boost credibility and if utilized properly, a bump in SEO.

Last edited:
From what I can see there is a "movement" on to attempt to "elevate" the non-dot-com top level domains (TLDs.) There is a proliferation of new TLDs out there and I predict that doc com will (finally) lose its halo. I think it will take a few high-profile companies to "abandon" the dot com.

What if New York Life became nyl.insurance? And if Met followed, etc.

What if coors dot com became coors.beer?

It will happen... mainly because all the .com TLDs are used!

Al
499WordPressDesign

From what I can see there is a "movement" on to attempt to "elevate" the non-dot-com top level domains (TLDs.) There is a proliferation of new TLDs out there and I predict that doc com will (finally) lose its halo. I think it will take a few high-profile companies to "abandon" the dot com.

What if New York Life became nyl.insurance? And if Met followed, etc.

What if coors dot com became coors.beer?

It will happen... mainly because all the .com TLDs are used!

This has been attempted for over a decade, but dot com has maintained its dominance. Other extensions have been pretty much cash cows for the registrars, but nothing more.

Overstock.com is a perfect example. They attempted to re-brand themselves as O.co, but switched back when they realized they were losing about 61% of their web traffic to O.com.

I feel your pain. I have a domain I let go back. Now I wanted to buy it back just cuz. These people in Finland want me to pay $12,000 to get my domain back. I paid $9.95 for it years ago. Talk about making a profit.

Back