• Do you have any victories you'd like to share for the month of May? Help us celebrate others by posting here.

Is there an MIB for med supp?

keith365

Super Genius
I have a client that wanted to change from a Great Southern plan G, to a UHC plan G. She only taking B12 injections, and was able to answer all health questions with a "no". The standard rate for her would have been about $165/month, but UHC rated her as a level 2, and her premium would be $357/month. I cant understand why they'd charge so much, when I know there's nothing on the app, or in an rx check that should push the premium that high. I might want to help her apply with another company. Will other companies see that she's been approved at this level 2 with UHC? We will find out the reason for the increase with UHC

I have a client that wanted to change from a Great Southern plan G, to a UHC plan G. She only taking B12 injections, and was able to answer all health questions with a "no". The standard rate for her would have been about $165/month, but UHC rated her as a level 2, and her premium would be $357/month. I cant understand why they'd charge so much, when I know there's nothing on the app, or in an rx check that should push the premium that high. I might want to help her apply with another company. Will other companies see that she's been approved at this level 2 with UHC? We will find out the reason for the increase with UHC
Most companies will take B-12 shots.

Most people don't need B12 . . . some of my clients get B12 shots (as I recall some have autoimmune illness). Is the B12 PRESCRIBED or does she take it because she THINKS she needs it?

Unless you are third world, or a vegetarian, most folks don't NEED a B12 supplement.

If prescribed, that's probably why UHC targeted her. If she is taking it OTC leave it off the damn app.

If you are including vitamin supplements (OTC, not prescribed) on your applications, stop putting them on there, unless the app specifically ASKS about vitamins and supplements.

Vitamin B-12 deficiency is not common in the U.S. However, people who follow a vegetarian or vegan diet might be prone to deficiency because plant foods don't contain vitamin B-12. Older adults and people with digestive tract conditions that affect absorption of nutrients also are susceptible to vitamin B-12 deficiency.

Left untreated, a vitamin B-12 deficiency can lead to anemia, fatigue, muscle weakness, intestinal problems, nerve damage and mood disturbances.
Vitamin B-12

Pernicious anemia, one of the causes of vitamin B12 deficiency, is an autoimmune condition that prevents your body from absorbing vitamin B12. Left untreated, pernicious anemia can cause serious medical issues, including irreversible damage to your nervous system.
Vitamin B-12

Addressing your other question, very few Medigap carriers check MIB>

By any chance is her part B date too old for the inexpensive rate tier? I think they have a cut off of 10 years if you suspect that the higher rate is not health related.

Truce, you are right. She's 79, but doesn't uhc have level 1 rates for people of that age? I didn't consider that just her age would put her at such a high premium. The level 2 premium is twice the cost of other competitors.

Back