Med Supp Mailer to Heavy MAPD Counties

I appreciate your input. I think the key for me is getting in front of the right folks to begin with and I have dealt with IRMAA a little. I do need to dig deeper on the appeals process. I have a decent book of business already so breaking even first year is easy for me, as I am not new to this rodeo, but I have majority MA clients, and I really want to grow my med supp book.

The one question I have for you based on what Glen stated, is what have you done differently to get financial pros to send you leads? I appreciate any insight you are willing to give.;)

One thing she mentioned that really stood out to me (correct me if I'm wrong Jenny :) ) was that as many as 50% of T65 mailers going out are from Financial Advisers.

This makes it a HUGE liability for the FA's who are not offering to handle Medicare in house.

I appreciate your input. I think the key for me is getting in front of the right folks to begin with and I have dealt with IRMAA a little. I do need to dig deeper on the appeals process. I have a decent book of business already so breaking even first year is easy for me, as I am not new to this rodeo, but I have majority MA clients, and I really want to grow my med supp book.

The one question I have for you based on what Glen stated, is what have you done differently to get financial pros to send you leads? I appreciate any insight you are willing to give.;)

I'm totally happy to help. There's 10,000 a day, surely there are plenty of people to share.

Find an FP in your town (that has been in business for more than 3 years) with Jones. Mainly because Jones reps aren't allowed to do health. Call them up and tell them what you do and that you want to meet for coffee. Show them Medicare 101 (with letters for a T65 on the front screen) and that you want to do that in their office for their clients. You want to be a "value add" for their clients. They also need to know that you won't sell them anything except health, but they also don't want another FP getting their 401K money at retirement, which is about 50% of the mailings. FP's using Medicare to get the 401K to annuity people.

I do lunches, dinners, coffees at their offices for their clients. My only rule is that I only do one dinner a month (kids first), so they book those pretty far in advance.

I also show up and "sit there" when they have the Hancock (or whatever company) come in and discuss Social Security/renewals/LTC. There are always Medicare questions. I only ask that I get a copy of the sign in sheet, so I can send them thank you cards. At the end, I have always have 3-4 of them asking me stuff and I get them eventually.

I train them on how to send me referrals, too. "Joe, please don't tell them to call me. They never do. They aren't weirdos like us who call people out of the blue. The best thing to do is to say that you will email both of us and I will get back with them" (For the record, that's a BNI trick)

I also train them on the timing. "Joe, we both want to be talking to these people at age 64. The last thing either of us wants is for them to talk to anyone else." So they learn to run a T64 report to get them in their office to review the retirement plans and "Oh, btw, I will have Jenny contact you so you start the Medicare process".

Then just add them from there. I also host breakfasts (which is the majority of my marketing expense, Glen is right, its about $1K) in September. Which is really just a kickoff to open enrollment, reviewing Medicare 101 and the changes. Also known as "I'm brilliant and you should send me people".

They also get copied in on any emails I send (like when the Trustees report hits in June) to the client base.

This works for me and I love it. I need to be out of the office, not just doing phone sales. Other people love doing incoming calls. Whatever works for you is what's best. Hope this helps! PM me if you want to chat further.

Back