Medicare 1st of Month Birthday

Slightly off topic, but was wondering if anyone had any insight on this. I have a prospect whose birthday is also on the 1st. He's going with a BCBS supplement, but BCBS said that he can't get it until the 1st of his birth month. This can't be true right? Don't they have to let him get it on the day his Medicare A and B take effect? I can't see there being some specific rule for Medicare that then makes people potentially have to wait a whole month to get coverage.

Slightly off topic, but was wondering if anyone had any insight on this. I have a prospect whose birthday is also on the 1st. He's going with a BCBS supplement, but BCBS said that he can't get it until the 1st of his birth month. This can't be true right? Don't they have to let him get it on the day his Medicare A and B take effect? I can't see there being some specific rule for Medicare that then makes people potentially have to wait a whole month to get coverage.
Has he signed up for Medicare? When does he turn 65?

August 1st, already on SS has his card with July 1 effective. Lives in NJ, I don't know if they have weird rules there. I've never heard of a company making someone wait until their actual birth month.
Write the policy now and request a July 1st effective date. They ask the Part A and Part B effective dates on the app.

BCBS said that he can't get it until the 1st of his birth month.

Ask them to show you this rule in writing from their underwriting/admin guide.

Also show them this from Medicare . . .

The date your coverage starts depends on which month you sign up during your Initial Enrollment Period. Coverage always starts on the first of the month.

If you qualify for Premium-free Part A: Your Part A coverage starts the month you turn 65. (If your birthday is on the first of the month, coverage starts the month before you turn 65.)

Part B (and Premium-Part A): Coverage starts based on the month you sign up:

(Follow link to see the grid)
When does Medicare coverage start? | Medicare

Ask them to show you this rule in writing from their underwriting/admin guide.

Also show them this from Medicare . . .

The date your coverage starts depends on which month you sign up during your Initial Enrollment Period. Coverage always starts on the first of the month.

If you qualify for Premium-free Part A: Your Part A coverage starts the month you turn 65. (If your birthday is on the first of the month, coverage starts the month before you turn 65.)

Part B (and Premium-Part A): Coverage starts based on the month you sign up:

(Follow link to see the grid)
When does Medicare coverage start? | Medicare
I started my Medicare the month before I turned 65.

Many people, especially seniors, don't know that your Medicare effective date can be a month before you turn 65. Someone born on May 1 discovers their Medicare coverage actually started April 1. This often does not happen until they receive their Medicare card.

Just happened with a new client who applied for Medicare a few months ago is still working, and covered by the EGHP through the end of May.

He is also subject to IRMAA.

Now he has EGHP + Medicare A&B (effective April 1) but he didn't want Medicare to start until June 1.

Unless there is a way to unwind this and start over, he is paying Part B for April & May plus IRMAA (the maximum) and doesn't want or need Medicare now.
Got that in the works. He is a pilot, retiring this month and won't have any earnings the rest of this year.

Employer coverage terms 5/31 . . . has claims this year (cancer) . . . dropping coverage retro a can of worms if even possible.

No job for wife . . . on his plan as dependent . . . T65 September 2022

With work stoppage to get the IRMAA money back and wife within the 36 months for COBRA due to Medicare, he’s in good shape.

He’s out the additional base Part B premium for April, May and June. Suck it up, buttercup. Should have
called you earlier

I’m shocked Delta doesn’t give their pilots a $2 -$3 k subsidy for retirement for Medicare ? I have several delta pilots on my tennis team . I was speechless when he told me an international wide body captain can make over $600 k a yr . They have an incredible 401 k . One pilot told me he’s been with them 27 yrs and has over $4 mil in 401k. Also delta doesn’t have a Aon type deal were employees buy their Medicare with them ? Every time I run into state employees I walk . There mapd although it costs is far superior to a regular mapd . I’m wondering what % of middle to upper income Medicare eligible people get subsidy’s and are locked in with a aon type deal ? In other words they buy their Medicare threw a aon type outfit . The independent agent cant sell them .

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back