Naifa

saoj

Expert
I'm thinking about joining NAIFA, any pros and cons a s Member? Is it worth the monthly investment?

Depends. NAIFA is basically the career agents association. If you are career and you want to network with other companies it's not such a bad thing. If you belong to a BGA/MGA/IMO/etc. you could join under the theory that you might get some business (don't hold your breath).

There are other things you could spend the ~$500/year on that would put more money in your pocket. At the same time, there are other much worse ways to blow $500/year.

BNTRS said:
Depends. NAIFA is basically the career agents association. If you are career and you want to network with other companies it's not such a bad thing. If you belong to a BGA/MGA/IMO/etc. you could join under the theory that you might get some business (don't hold your breath).

There are other things you could spend the ~$500/year on that would put more money in your pocket. At the same time, there are other much worse ways to blow $500/year.

well this is very insightful, do you have t tips and ideas on better investments for my business?

Why do you say it is a career agent organization?

My experience has always been that local chapters are run and dominated by career agents. I've meant independents at NAIFA functions. Even the Sales Congress was dominated by either brokerage people for other career companies, or CPA's and Attorney's who wanted to network with insurance agents.

My take.

I've been a NAIFA member since 1993 [still am] and have found it to be very valuable to my career. Earning the LUTCF designation, the classes I took, agents I rubbed shoulders with that were more than happy to share ideas...invaluable to me. The classes always have info that you can take back to your agency & work on to make you better, IMHO. That was my take-a-way.

Networking at the monthly meetings.....not very valuable to me... but the speakers that would be at the lunches...another learning opportunity that was worth it. Teaching the LUTC classes was also a good way to meet other agents & learn/network with each other.

Discounts on E & O insurance, sales tools, assistance....all are good reasons to join NAIFA IMO.

My experience has always been that local chapters are run and dominated by career agents. I've meant independents at NAIFA functions. Even the Sales Congress was dominated by either brokerage people for other career companies, or CPA's and Attorney's who wanted to network with insurance agents.

I agree with this statement to a degree. Our local board is dominated by a career agency and our IMO. But, we don't like it either--we wanted new blood but nobody is really stepping up to the plate of the 200+ members in our territory. I am on the board--and, dislike it completly. I am a 2 term YAT chair....and pulling out my hair for each monthly planning meeting. I agree with NAIFA on advocacy and wish I could divert that $500 100% to it...but NAIFA is so old school and has too many people to "pay" to keep it running to allow flat donations.

We have put on some great sales expos and monthly lunches offering value to independants and captives alike. It is extremely difficult unless you are connected like some of these IMOs or Career agencies to find quality speakers and often times it is paid on our dime to bring them in, not out of the NAIFA general acct. Example: we have a referral consultant on contract, and we had him speak at our locals sales conference a few months ago--on our dime.

If NAIFA does not get back to it's roots, it will die within 10 years in my opinion. I see the value in NAIFA for advocacy, but not in the training or networking.

Back