New SEP Enrollment Item?

Seems obvious reading your brilliant minds, but I'm from Missouri, so will ax it out anyway:
My health insurance, is being cancelled on me at the end of the calendar year. (Little company named Assurant is dropping everybody for some reason.) My wife's work plan renews each July or August or so. Once I involuntarily lose my coverage on 1-1-16, will I have a SEP to join my wife's company plan starting 1-1-16 or would I need to enroll in ACA plan?

Just cancel Assurant and hop on your wife's work plan during the July-August open enrollment.

If it's better for you premium/benefit-wise to be on an individual QHPlan for 2016, enroll in one when the 2016 info is known, if the ObamaScrew rules will allow it.

Seems obvious reading your brilliant minds, but I'm from Missouri, so will ax it out anyway:
My health insurance, is being cancelled on me at the end of the calendar year. (Little company named Assurant is dropping everybody for some reason.) My wife's work plan renews each July or August or so. Once I involuntarily lose my coverage on 1-1-16, will I have a SEP to join my wife's company plan starting 1-1-16 or would I need to enroll in ACA plan?

Usually there are no SEPs for group coverage, it is normally an annual open enrollment most likely during the renewal period so you would have to switch to another ACA plan.

I assume from your comments that you own a PRE-ACA Non Grandfathered policy with Assurant, that is much cheaper than her group plan or a new ACA plan.

If so, then come jan 1st, you can analyze which plan/price will be best for you, as you only have two choices:

1. Join your wife's group plan
2. Buy an OFF exchange ACA plan from carrier of your choice

I assume from your comments that you own a PRE-ACA Non Grandfathered policy with Assurant, that is much cheaper than her group plan or a new ACA plan.

If so, then come jan 1st, you can analyze which plan/price will be best for you, as you only have two choices:

After reading your morning post about Assurant in the Individual Health section today, my revised advice to healthy Assurant clients is to leave them as soon as possible. My advice to ill/costly Assurant clients is to stay with them as long as possible.

Yours was the exact correct assumption and those are the choices I'd like to consider. Is choice 1 an option for me once I lose my coverage on 1-1-16? Or, since I did not join her plan when we first married a few years ago, when I was allowed to opt in, is that option now off the table?

Yours was the exact correct assumption and those are the choices I'd like to consider. Is choice 1 an option for me once I lose my coverage on 1-1-16? Or, since I did not join her plan when we first married a few years ago, when I was allowed to opt in, is that option now off the table?

You would need to have someone who does group pipe in here.

But, i believe, that involuntarily losing your coverage creates an special enrollment to join her group plan on 1/1/16. It would be much like you losing your job and losing your group plan, which creates an SEP for group.

Or, run the numbers now (2016 ACA estimate vs group).

Oh..I thought you implied in your original post that you could join your wife's group plan when it renewed in July-August.

I'd advise to speak with her head of HR as to their specific policy.

Some allow additions mid-year, others require it to happen during the employer established OEP (July-August). Either way, the federal SEP rules do not apply to the group market, and it's up to the employer/contract.

My gut tells me you're probably going to have to drop your current coverage and enroll into her coverage during the OEP in July-August.

Back