Newbie here and to Insurance Sales

Hi All,

I am new to Insurance Sales but have a long history in insurance including billing and administering benefits for large companies. When I say "new", I just passed my Life and Health exam yesterday so I don't even have my license yet but it's in the works. Now that the exam is over, I can focus on how I get started. I "think" I'd like to focus on Medicare products because I have a heart for the elderly and always look for ways to help them.

My husband is also an agent but focuses primarily on Property & Casualty. I will likely get that license also and assist him when he needs it.

So my biggest dilemma now, like many, is to figure out the mechanism to get contracted and the platform to support my business. I am not interested in being tied to one insurance company. Is that what I see people calling "captured?" Any suggestions are welcome and I will do my due diligence to find the best fit for me.

God bless and have a great day!

The term is actually "captive". Your word "captured" made me laugh because it's actually kinda the same thing. No worries, you're new, you'll get all the lingo down eventually.

I'm commercial p&c and can't help with much advice. The good news it there are a lot of other veterans on here that can be quite helpful.

Hi All,

I am new to Insurance Sales but have a long history in insurance including billing and administering benefits for large companies. When I say "new", I just passed my Life and Health exam yesterday so I don't even have my license yet but it's in the works. Now that the exam is over, I can focus on how I get started. I "think" I'd like to focus on Medicare products because I have a heart for the elderly and always look for ways to help them.

My husband is also an agent but focuses primarily on Property & Casualty. I will likely get that license also and assist him when he needs it.

So my biggest dilemma now, like many, is to figure out the mechanism to get contracted and the platform to support my business. I am not interested in being tied to one insurance company. Is that what I see people calling "captured?" Any suggestions are welcome and I will do my due diligence to find the best fit for me.

God bless and have a great day!

Check out a few FMOs. Western Marketing is good. Precision Senior Marketing (Austin, Tx) is also good.

You "need" 1 carrier... But get a few more. UHC, MoO, Cigna, Aetna, whatever BCBS is in your state, and Humana. Maybe 1 or 2 more med supps based on pricing just for as-needed (I picked Manhattan - I like them).

Go to Medicare.gov and look in your area - what carriers on there for MAPD look good? Contract with them as well. Learn the products and the distinctions and the networks.

Market. Listen. Listen. Listen. Give some advice and write the app. Rinse and repeat. Keep in front of your clients, get referrals, and go on vacation every January after the AEP dust settles.

Welcome! There are many options available. I would recommend doing some research and finding a niche you would like to start selling in. I know you are "thinking" about a certain niche, but make sure you are clear on where you want to be first before you move forward. Once you have found a niche, call around and research to find a reputable IMO you would like to work with. Decide if you want to work over the phone or face to face.

This is a forum that contains plenty of knowledge, use it and search it. Get ready, congrats and I wish you the best!

Hi and welcome to the Forum Vickilu!

I would like to throw our hat into the ring for Medicare and FE, along with other products.

Since CSG was mentioned, you also get that free with us along with other perks, to include the training with MedicareTraining101 and FinalExpense101.

Website info below in my signature.

Give us a call if you like.

Back