Out of Sync Enrollments

Stephen

Guru
1000 Post Club
Please confirm my assumption for my situation:

I have a customer that was hired on June 1st by an employer that has a 1 year waiting period before he can enroll into the employer health plan. He qualifies for an APTC, but when he is able to receive group coverage it will be deemed affordable (less than 9.5% of income).

My assumption is that he will be able to carry a Metallic plan w/subsidy from Jan 1st until June when the 1 year wait ends, at this point in order to avoid any possible tax credit repayments, he will be required to enroll into the affordable group coverage and cancel the Metallic plan, or he also has the option to keep the Metallic plan, but change his status on the exchange to stop receiving the premium subsidy.

Am I looking at this right or is there something that I may be missing?

Thanks,

Stephen

Great question I have some ideas but need to think about this. Side note what state allows a one year wait on group benefits?

Please confirm my assumption for my situation:

I have a customer that was hired on June 1st by an employer that has a 1 year waiting period before he can enroll into the employer health plan. He qualifies for an APTC, but when he is able to receive group coverage it will be deemed affordable (less than 9.5% of income).

My assumption is that he will be able to carry a Metallic plan w/subsidy from Jan 1st until June when the 1 year wait ends, at this point in order to avoid any possible tax credit repayments, he will be required to enroll into the affordable group coverage and cancel the Metallic plan, or he also has the option to keep the Metallic plan, but change his status on the exchange to stop receiving the premium subsidy.

Am I looking at this right or is there something that I may be missing?

Thanks,

Stephen

You are correct. You stated it perfectly.

Great question I have some ideas but need to think about this. Side note what state allows a one year wait on group benefits?

That would be Arkansas.

----------

You are correct. You stated it perfectly.

Thanks Ann, I was hoping that you would chime in on this one. I did have to pitch your credentials a little bit to my coworker when told me that he wasn't advise his customer based of of internet forum advice :)

That would be Arkansas.

----------

Thanks Ann, I was hoping that you would chime in on this one. I did have to pitch your credentials a little bit to my coworker when told me that he wasn't advise his customer based of of internet forum advice :)

Thank you for the kind words. I'm still trying to post here and there when I think I can help an agent out, but my posting count is dropping significantly due to the volume of business.

Back