Over 65 Non Medicare Eligible - Exchange Bound

If Social Security gives them a letter stating they are not eligible for Medicare part A. If the Marketplace says they can keep their plan and the subsidies if they are not eligible for Medicare Part A. Then the IRS says you must pay back all the subsidy we have BIG problems.

I don't remember in your prior posts about you saying that Social Security gave them a letter stating they are not eligible.

----------

Looking back at your posts, I see that you said, "They told me the person has the choice to keep the HIX plan or go down and talk to Medicare and see if they will let them in..."

So, are you saying the person will not even contact Medicare to get a letter of eligibility so that they can say "not eligible" on the subsidy app?

Ann are you saying that you agree with this post?
It's the following post from TaterPeeler that I was saying I agreed with

Wow... Not what bcbs and my understanding of the law is.... So question I pose is this, 75 year old, legal immigrant here over 5 years can the get a subsidy... Yes or no? I guess try and see what happens but from what I recall since they are Medicare eligable no subsidy.... Of course Medicare buy in but still eligable and I think if the questions are answered correctly no subsidy. Someone can get a subsidy however doesn't mean the really get it since it's just an advanced premium tax credit

Ok so now we need to find out what constitutes "Not Medicare Eligible" and which body has the authority to say it SS or Medicare or both.

The question I'm now wondering is this since it is a Husband and Wife policy and the subsidy was like $930 a month but it listed that amount by each person's name on the eligibility letter (you know inside the little box). Couldn't one person use their part of the subsidy to count towards the premium of the policy? Hmmmm....interesting...

----------

Ok folks here we go....according to this little calculator it says my client will be in July "Medicare Eligible"............I guess the folks over at Social Security don't use it....lol
Medicare.gov - Eligibility & Premium Calculator

However, if she can stay on the IFP and not have to pay back the subsidy she should keep it, otherwise she will be without coverage. Hopefully we can get a clarification sometime before July.

So, if someone who bought a plan & got a good subsidy turns 65 in March - they will automatically get part A, right? (this person has worked here all her life). Will the penalty for not signing up for B kick in when she does sign up - lets say after another year? If she's Medicare eligible & gets her card sent to her, is the exchange carrier notified of a change in status or not? And then is she going to be able to keep the subsidy anyway? Sorry if this has been addressed, but I didn't see it here . . . . .

Back