Possible Career Change to Selling Medicare Supplement Plans

Racerx558

Hello Everyone,

I have worked in the financial and commercial Printing Industry as a Project/Account Manager for the last 20 years and I have been thinking about switching careers.

I have a friend who started selling Medicare Plans for Humana about 4 years ago and he has did very well for himself and was just recently promoted.

He mentioned I should get my license and apply.

I have a few questions?

How hard is the exam? He seemed to pass with no problems and I test well but looking at the stats around half of the people fail.

As far as selling to Seniors how or what is the best way to market yourself. I was told you need to be very careful on how you approach or sell Medicare plans.

Has anyone worked for Humana? If so what was your experience?

Thanks in advance!

Most likely your friend is selling Medicare Advantage plans. In some areas they do quite well, others, not as much.

Advantage plans have quite a few marketing restrictions. You need to know what they are to stay out of trouble. Your friend should be able to advise you.

Most likely your friend is selling Medicare Advantage plans. In some areas they do quite well, others, not as much.

Advantage plans have quite a few marketing restrictions. You need to know what they are to stay out of trouble. Your friend should be able to advise you.

Yes but I was looking for some feedback as how others market themselves.

Humana offers a base salary plus mock commission for 6 months but after that you must meet a quota. It's somewhat scary switching jobs and not certain of the pay but if it works out the opportunity is better.

How hard is the test?

What is it like to work for Humana?

Just trying to gather opinions or experience from others.

Yes but I was looking for some feedback as how others market themselves.

Humana offers a base salary plus mock commission for 6 months but after that you must meet a quota. It's somewhat scary switching jobs and not certain of the pay but if it works out the opportunity is better.

How hard is the test?

What is it like to work for Humana?

Just trying to gather opinions or experience from others.
If you fail, you just study harder and take it again. I passed on on the second try. But I just bought an exam cram prep book and studied it.

It might be worth taking on the exam courses like ExamFX or Prelicensing dot com, especially if will help you pass on the first try.

Talk to Brian aka bpenn9. He worked for Humana before going indy.

All I know is you need a marketing budget to do MA as an independent. Gone are the days where you can just buy a t-65 list and door knock or cold call your way to 500 clients.

For med supp, none of those restrictions apply, and Humana is probably the last carrier you would place someone with. They are too overpriced!

If you fail, you just study harder and take it again. I passed on on the second try. But I just bought an exam cram prep book and studied it.

It might be worth taking on the exam courses like ExamFX or Prelicensing dot com, especially if will help you pass on the first try.

Talk to Brian aka bpenn9. He worked for Humana before going indy.

All I know is you need a marketing budget to do MA as an independent. Gone are the days where you can just buy a t-65 list and door knock or cold call your way to 500 clients.

For med supp, none of those restrictions apply, and Humana is probably the last carrier you would place someone with. They are too overpriced!

I know Humana does provide leads and they supply more than the reps can handle during open enrollment. I'm new to this but my friend closes on the majority of appointments. Either he's really good or their is some sort of advantage by going with Humana. The open enrollment seems easy if you are willing to work it's the other 9 months out of the year. I think the quota is 5 Medicare plans and 3 other plans like dental vision etc.

Working as a Humana captive is not the same as an independent agent. There are plenty of people here who can tell you how to proceed as an independent but few as a Humana captive. As Thomasm said, talk to Brian Penner if you don't want to ask your upline.

Back