Preexisting Condition Question

questionman

Long story short I had an individual health care plan with Anthem for most of 2010, dropped it in January, and recently picked it up again. I was uninsured for over 60 days. My insurance just picked back up coverage wise on Monday.

I've had an ingrown toenail on both feet off and on since 2010. I haven't seen a doctor about them (haven't seen a doctor period since I was on the first policy) with Anthem. Anyhow, my question is if I want to get these toes taking care of realistically how long do I need to wait to have the ingrown nail cut out before Anthem wouldn't deny it as a preexisting condition.

Long story short I had an individual health care plan with Anthem for most of 2010, dropped it in January, and recently picked it up again. I was uninsured for over 60 days. My insurance just picked back up coverage wise on Monday.

I've had an ingrown toenail on both feet off and on since 2010. I haven't seen a doctor about them (haven't seen a doctor period since I was on the first policy) with Anthem. Anyhow, my question is if I want to get these toes taking care of realistically how long do I need to wait to have the ingrown nail cut out before Anthem wouldn't deny it as a preexisting condition.

If the ending date of the old policy, and, the start date of the new policy is greater than 63 days, you will be subject to the pre existing condition clause in your policy.
See the "Exclusions" section in your policy.
You probably will have to wait 6 months.

It's also possible it won't flag as pre-x at all. Pre-x reviews are based on diagnosis codes, and most carriers have an "Always Chronic" condition list that will stop the claim. I can't say for sure ingrown toenails wouldn't fall on that list, but I'd doubt it.

Thanks for the help guys to answer a few questions. I know this policy does indeed cover feet and yeah it def after 63 days.

I suppose I'm just going to ahead and have the procedure and if I ahve to pay full price later on then I guess I have to pay full price. Anyhow to the guy who said I would have to wait six months, that would seem crazy considering I could at ny point now and wtihin the next 6 months get an ingrown toenail and the doctor would have no way of determining when it was ingrown. But insurance is crazy sometimes I suppose.

Back