Property Casualty Insurance Questions for Beginners

Gavin12

I know this type of question is posted numerous times on this site, so why not add one more! I will be graduating soon and have been doing research about the insurance industry. My father sells Health, Life, Long-Term Care, Disability, etc. and has for the last 20 years, so I have been around the business my entire life.

He has recommended I look into P and C for starting out. Is that a good avenue to look into? I have been contacted by a few captive agencies so I am seeking out for any advice.

1. Is P and C a good route to go as a beginning agent?
2. Is P and C as a captive agent also a good route for a new agent?
3. If they are, what would be the top companies you recommend or know in little ol' Iowa :)!

Thank you for your time in reading my post and any help you give me!

Re: Property Casualty

Life is a sprint, P&C is a marathon.

They are completely different animals, and you're going to struggle your first few years in either one. Unless your father is willing to bankroll you, your best bet is to try to join an independent agency as a producer. Learn the business and how to win profitable accounts, and then see about going out on your own.

They are completely different animals, and you're going to struggle your first few years in either one. Unless your father is willing to bankroll you, your best bet is to try to join an independent agency as a producer. Learn the business and how to win profitable accounts, and then see about going out on your own.

+1. You wouldn't go skydiving w/o an instructor on your first jump would you?

Wise words.

I know this type of question is posted numerous times on this site, so why not add one more! I will be graduating soon and have been doing research about the insurance industry. My father sells Health, Life, Long-Term Care, Disability, etc. and has for the last 20 years, so I have been around the business my entire life.

He has recommended I look into P and C for starting out. Is that a good avenue to look into? I have been contacted by a few captive agencies so I am seeking out for any advice.

1. Is P and C a good route to go as a beginning agent?
2. Is P and C as a captive agent also a good route for a new agent?
3. If they are, what would be the top companies you recommend or know in little ol' Iowa :)!

Thank you for your time in reading my post and any help you give me!

Hi!
I started in personal lines for one year and I moved to P&C I found commercial line sinsurance more ineteresting and more challenging. after 2 years I started selling Specialty Causualty lines and now after 7 years I am in Professional Libility. I think that you should try different things, take advantage of your father expirience and make your own.
I hope it helps!

Back