Providing Equity to marketing partner?

Rob Hoffman

Expert
I am currently operating a Medicare/retirement Insurance Agency focused on helping seniors with their needs.

About a year ago I started working with a marketing company. It has gone mostly well and I have been able to grow through initatives with them and other marketing I am doing.

I was able to 2x my BoB (about 100 clients last year to about 250, doing 12-20 enrollments p/ mo.) It has come at a cost however as the monthly fees for the marketing are somewhat high. I am re-investing most of what I make and so I approached this company looking for a way to lower my personal costs.

The options they presented were either doing more business with them to get a lower price (which isn't feasible as I would need to hire a 2nd agent - not there yet but soon I imagine) or create a more "formal partnership" (their words.)

While the services they provide for me are mostly very and have allowed me to grow, I am hesitant to let someone else put their hands in my pie I am wondering if anyone has any experience allowing other people/companies to become partners with equity.

I am not sure what that could look like and am just looking for any advice on how to proceed.

Thanks, Rob

Have you checked to see if what you're asking about is legal in your state? Might be an easy way out of a difficult situation if you can explain to them that it simply isn't possible (commission sharing).

It sounds like you've managed to find a successful dynamic with them; I'd be nervous about changing the terms.

Back