Question about auto insurance across two states

Ryan Ch

Hello all,

My father in law will be having surgery in the next couple weeks. He resides in NJ. My wife and I will be taking care of him for the next 6 months to a year post surgery. My question is, would my wife and I be able to drive his car in PA for the duration of his stay? We are willing to put both of our names under his policy and pay that added cost. We were just worried that in case of an accident, will his policy cover both of us since it is a different state where the car is registered?

My wife would like to use his car to commute to work sometimes, I'd like to do the same. My father in law owns a Tesla which would save us a lot of money on gas, rather than having it sit in NJ doing absolutely nothing. (Surgery would prevent him from driving)

My situation also made me wonder. How do people who live in NJ, and commute to work in PA with their auto insurance?

You should not run into any issues with your FIL's car, it is a temporary situation but you might find out that the rate in Pa is less than Nj if you ask. Your hiccup could be a bored cop who sees a vehicle parked with out of state tags over multiple weeks. Your explanation of a temporary situation should be sufficient

You should not run into any issues with your FIL's car, it is a temporary situation but you might find out that the rate in Pa is less than Nj if you ask. Your hiccup could be a bored cop who sees a vehicle parked with out of state tags over multiple weeks. Your explanation of a temporary situation should be sufficient

Thank you. Really appreciate the response.

Another dumb question. Would I be able to add my father in laws car to my auto policy? Even though it is registered to him and in a different state? If the car is going to be used in PA for a year.

No. You would have to preregister the car in your name because currently you have no insurable interest in the car. You could add your name as a driver on HIS policy just to cover yourself and his policy

Thanks fed up.

I called Geico today. They recommend if the car is used for longer than 6 months in PA, I should register it in PA. I asked why register it in PA then re-register in NJ when my father in law can take care of himself. I'm planning on not doing this. I will be under the policy, should be ok and still be covered correct?

Back