Question About Quote Forms & Required Info: Email Vs. Phone

In designing quote forms, which is the best option? which do you use and why?

A. require that the visitor enter both their phone number and email address.
B. require phone number, but leave email optional.
C. require email, but leave phone number optional.
D. give the visitor the option of leaving one or the other

Just curious about your thoughts on this and also wondered if anyone has done any A/B/C/D testing?

I guess the real question comes down to quality vs. volume.

What is your goal? To sell insurance? Then your going to want to have a field for phone and email. I make them required. Others are successful, and dont make phone a required field---but they dont really focus on calling all their leads--I guess they get more leads by not requiring a phone number, so more lead forms are filled out, and that's another person in autoresponder.

This is like asking for the secret formula for coca cola...

Once you are set on the questions you want to ask, you should develop multiple versions of the form, with variations for required vs voluntary, the order of questions, and fonts, colors, look.

try your various forms and track how they got there, completed vs incomplete, where they jumped off, time to complete forms, etc.. and make small individual item adjustments one at a time until you have a good form.

Great Question.

Our quote forms ask for everything, but require very little. Specifically to your question, we have done a lot of testing and with hundreds of thousands of forms filled out, we have found that D is, by far, the best option in our conversion funnel analysis. (But I'm sure anyone could guess that.)

And we have found no correlation between the quality of the quote and whether they provide email only, phone number only, or both. The bottom line for our agents is "get the lead and let me sell insurance". This means letting the customer provide whatever information they are comfortable with. If they want to just provide a phone number and have an agent call them to get the information, fine. If they want to fill out every field on a 100 question auto insurance application, even better.

We believe flexibility is the key to successful online insurance marketing.

Last edited:
Speaking of quote forms, I'm actually having my programmer work on something for me. I remember back in da day at health benefits direct, we would get the lead info b4 someone hit the submit button, theyd be like omg i didnt even finish filling this out and your already calling!

my guy is gonna have it to where as soon as the name and phone number is entered that info is sent to me.

Health benefits Direct. Wow...That's a name from the past. When I was buying leads...it seemed as if they were buying the same ones.

that place was da bomb, hmmm mb thats cuz ive always been attracted to the hustle.....

vacation packages
health ins/disc card sales rooms
infomericals

hey it was south florida , what can I say, not an honest SalesPerson in the tricounty area :) :(

On the sites where I do lead generation for lead aggregators, I have to play by their rules. However, on the website that feeds my agency:
  • email is mandatory and is checked for stuff like the position of the @ sign
  • snail mail address is checked against a database to make sure it exists. However, since this isn't a perfect system (e.g. they enter "23f Main Street" but the code expects "23 Main street Apt F"), the code accepts whatever they input the third time
  • phone number is asked for but is not mandatory
I've never liked the asterisks that indicate that a field is mandatory so I don't use them. I do, however, limit the questions I ask to the ones that are mandatory for the most part.

Back