Recommendations for per mile insurance.

Progressive and Allstate offer per mile policies. You pay basic coverage each month and an additional amount after mileage is collected

If you’re looking for a company that lets you pay by the mile, Nationwide SmartMiles is available in New Mexico. You’ll pay a base rate like $35 a month, no matter how little you drive. Then, you’ll pay a low rate per mile, like seven cents for every mile you drive. Pay-per-mile policies work best if you drive less than average, like under 10,000 miles a year. If that doesn’t suit you, most major companies also offer safe driving programs, like Progressive Snapshot or Allstate Drivewise. You could save up to 40% by letting the company track your driving and proving that you’re a safe driver.

I have been researching PPM auto insurance for a while. Many companies make grand claims as to how much you can save, but none to my knowledge can deliver a fraction of the discounts stated. I tried Progressive Snapshot. The telemetry device is rigged to penalize you if you have what is known as an acceleration event. Turns out that stopping at a stop sign at anything more than a ridiculously slow rate is enough to trigger the event. Maneuvering in traffic to avoid a collision will earn you a wrist slap! I got no discount from them despite having a clean record. Further review showed that all of the ins companies offering PPM are doing the same thing.

A big part of the issue with Per Mile Insurance is that if you have comp and collission the risk does not go away necesarily when the auto is parked. My guess is that people that are "more likely" to use these types of policies are more likely to park their autos in the streets or at least not in a garage.

In addtion I agree for those that use 'accelleration events' are often charging people extra to drive safer at times. Yes you need to violently accelate at times, just like to you need to violetnly stop a vehicle sometimes.

There is a major difference between systems such as Allstates Drivewise and Allstate Milewise. One tracks your driving habits, the other checks miles driven. Milewise has helped many who dont drive daily

comprehensive is very cheap. I have it on a vehicle (09 civic) that is not driven. IT's 50 bucks a year.

that is because comp only is only covering your car for a couple of things that are unlikely to happen & the value of a 2009 is getting lower. The majority of losses comp only wont cover are expensive items that are more common like car animal accidents, hit while parked, collision, large liability claims, etc.

My guess is that per mile discounts are not adding up because the majority of claims are unrelated to the greater use in driving. I recall some studies say the majority of accidents are close to home. There are a ton of parking lot claims where 1/2/3 people back into each other at the grocery street down the street, the work parking lot, church parking lot or kids school. those claim payouts are getting ridiculously high as every car bumper now has cameras, sensors & if 1 of the 15-20 airbags go off it is even more costly.

just a hunch, but then add in all the added technology costs of 3rd party software & monitoring for the Per mile systems & it likely is not delivering the net positive results that were promised by all the software companies promoting it as a cost saver to the carrier.

Back