Recruiters

I was there in the late 90s early 2000s and it was definitely like that by then. I don't know what it was like before that but my wife grew up in Staten Island and said it was more of the same.

D'jais, Parker house, Bar A...good times. Belmar to Manasquan. Let's goooooo!!!
Oh I agree, but I was there in the 70's.

That must have been a trip right there.

I don't want to derail @WinoBlues post but what was it like? Because I thought the Jersey Shore show was pretty freaking accurate when I used to frequent those places.
Do not believe it was as depicted. One of my cousins had a restaurant a block from their house and most of what they did was staged or suggested to them by the producers. That's not to say they did not do outrageous things on their own, because they did. Before the drinking age was raised to 21, much of the activities were centered around large bars that had live bands. Many bands came through that went on to good or great careers. Cover charge was cheap, few bucks, some had buffets at 4 pm.

Do not believe it was as depicted. One of my cousins had a restaurant a block from their house and most of what they did was staged or suggested to them by the producers. That's not to say they did not do outrageous things on their own, because they did. Before the drinking age was raised to 21, much of the activities were centered around large bars that had live bands. Many bands came through that went on to good or great careers. Cover charge was cheap, few bucks, some had buffets at 4 pm.
Like I said though, in the late 90s early 2000s, that show was accurate.

"punch out the roof" was a thing on the dance floor and there were more shirtless dudes dancing than I preferred.

The only buffet we had was a slice of pizza as big as your head at Mamaluke's (maybe a different name back then?).

It would be surreal to see the shore so chill the way you describe it.

EDIT: Actually now that I'm thinking about it, Parker House had all you can eat peel and eat shrimp which being poor at the time was pretty awesome.

Last edited:
Back