Selling "ONLY" Commercial Fleet Auto

CCWriter

Expert
What about selling ONLY commercial auto policies to say small business fleets ( 5 to 20 cars, trucks, vans ) ? Would I "have to" also offer General Liability , Umbrellas ,Workers Comp ect...? Do business owners often like dealing with one agent ONLY?

If you don't offer the business policy, you won't keep the commercial auto. It's to much of a hassle to split them apart with different carriers.

In general, yes, you have to be the 'go-to' guy for small business insurance needs. Doesn't mean you have to write it, just means you have to have answers of who will.

Dan

If MY commercial auto premium is MUCH lower than the other agents, do you think I have a good chance in writing "it"? Is it really a HASSLE for the owner to deal with 2 agents splitting up the policy?

Yes, it is a pain. If he needs a certificate of insurance he will have to contact 2 agents to get 2 different certificates. Plus at renewal time he has to go through the process of renewing with 2 agents which will not be good for your retention if you are only offering auto.

Out of curiosity, why are you only wanting to offer commercial auto and what makes you think you will be the least expensive?

Cranson, The agency I work for doesn't write ANY "New" Commercial General Liability (ONLY commercial auto, bonds, WC...). As for price, We are competitive on commercial auto.

CCWriter, to illustrate what others have said, I personally just love competing on an account against agents like you. Because picture this, I just wrote Mr Jones's liability, property, wc and just saved him money, the next question I am going to ask him is, Mr Jones, where is your auto policy? Can I take a look at it?

And 99.9999999% of the times, Mr Jones will say, smiling, sure here it is.

So yeah, start writing other lines asap!

Like I mentioned, my agency doesn't write any NEW GL or Property in FL. ... ONLY commercial auto ,personal lines, ect.

Back