SSI, Medicaid, and Part A

I can't find the thread where people have talked about this in the past so I'm hoping someone can shed light on it for me.

I have a client turning 65 in December, and she received her Medicare card with only Part B. She does not have enough working quarters for free Part A, but she does receive SSI. I have clients on SSI that get their Part A paid for from Medicaid, but I haven't dealt with anyone turning 65 and what they need to do to get it. Does she have to call Social Security and tell them she wants Part A, and then re-up her Medicaid benefits with her state? Some other process? Any help would be appreciated, and she lives in TN if that matters.

It’s depends on the state but I’ve seen it take many yrs for someone on ssi to get part A after they turn 65

Here is my experience in Virginia. In your situation, the person is most likely getting Medicaid to take the place of Part A since they don't have the funds to pay for Part A which is what one would have to do if not enough work quarters for premium free Part A.
The local Social Security office or the national one may be able to explain the situation to you if your state is the same or different.
My experience is unusual, but I learned about this situation with Part A and not enough work quarters because of an error made in the local Social Security office. The person turning 65 went to the local Social Security to apply for Medicare and was not asked if there was any other income besides the few work quarters showing (which they should have done, it's on the application), then probably assumed the client was low income, which they were not--they had assets and a substantial income from an inheritance. So the person I described here does have the income to pay for Part A. It took a few months and lots of calls/paperwork, etc. to get the thing reversed and add paid Part A.

Back