Thinking about transitioning to a Remote Agent

KyleSage

Hello all,
Have browsed this site for about a year but this is my first activity on here as I need some help and input from others in the sphere.

I have been in the insurance career for 3 full years now and have always done senior insurance as a “full spectrum” approach. Meaning I have never focused on one product line like final expense or med supps, preferring to mix it up and try to cross sell (especially when I have saved someone $) to maximize my houses. Also I have only ever done F2F appointments, even during the height of Covid. The state I’m in isn’t huge on med supps so my medicare sales are mostly MAPD. In a typical year I will get roughly 100 MA’s between AEP and OEP/T’65s, many paired with Hospital Indemnity plans. Give or take around 1.5M in Annuities depending on big cases. Life is more of a crap shoot, I buy more med supp leads than FE which usually end up being MA clients because they all think they have med supp. But will typically do 1-2 1035 exchange SPWL or into UL’s depending on the situations, and maybe idk 3-5 FE per month?

Long story short, the longer I do this, the better it sounds to me to be able to work remotely and do all phone sales do free up time to travel, spend time with family etc… especially as my book of business and renewals with MA continue to grow

I want to work remote but obviously it would be brand new and a huge change for me. So I’m curious as to other peoples experiences, pros and cons, tips, what they think would change, how much less closing ratios would typically be vs F2F etc..

I’m thinking the biggest adjustment would be I would probably have to kiss my annuity sales good bye, don’t know many people purchasing those over the phone although I’m sure it happens lol. Probably would have to crank up my FE focus and lean into that alot heavier.
My biggest worry is Medicare, it is the backbone of my business and I would very much like to be able to simply service existing clients and replace the clients in my book that fall off every year in the near future when my renewals get to a comfortable point and not have to work as much. But with all the Joe Namath and call center commercials I fear medicare over the phone may be alot harder to gain trust, but also to explain the ins and outs of MA plans to people as well.

Thoughts and experiences? Any input is appreciated.

Thanks guys.

I think out of the three - Medicare, Annuities, and FE - Medicare is most successfully sold remotely. Yes the call centers and TV commercials take a bite out of the pie, but it's still a big pie.

I've sold both over the phone and in person.

Maybe try this to make the transition easier - I'm assuming many of your appts are 2 call closes. Try this - next time you have a 2nd appt to "sign up" try to just handle it by phone and get used to the e-apps, etc, while on a call. It's a good way to "practice" on someone that you already met with in person.

Interesting, good to know. I’d say a good 75-80% of my medicare sales are same day, not including T-65’s if I’m helping them sign up for part B. Always felt like people talk themselves into all the things that could go wrong vs. seeing the benefits of changing. “If it makes sense today, it’ll make sense tomorrow” kind of a thing. Good idea though, will most definitely try to implement that with some of the T-65 or the clients that truly do want to think about it before making a decision. Thanks for the feedback

Yeah T65 can be a longer cycle. Non-T65 I'd try to do it then and there.

I bet you can go remote - the great thing is you can start small and practice with easier stuff. Maybe even any renewals or internal changes (Mrs. Jones from Aetna to Humana), don't go out to Mrs Jones just do it remote.

Interesting, good to know. I’d say a good 75-80% of my medicare sales are same day, not including T-65’s if I’m helping them sign up for part B. Always felt like people talk themselves into all the things that could go wrong vs. seeing the benefits of changing. “If it makes sense today, it’ll make sense tomorrow” kind of a thing. Good idea though, will most definitely try to implement that with some of the T-65 or the clients that truly do want to think about it before making a decision. Thanks for the feedback

What % of your Mapd is dual/lis ? If it’s a high % I assure you telesales will be tough . 80% of my and my friends duals/ lis business is replacing telesales . You got to touch low income . Telesales will work good on mapd non lis/dual and med sup .

Yeah T65 can be a longer cycle. Non-T65 I'd try to do it then and there.

I bet you can go remote - the great thing is you can start small and practice with easier stuff. Maybe even any renewals or internal changes (Mrs. Jones from Aetna to Humana), don't go out to Mrs Jones just do it remote.
Good point

What % of your Mapd is dual/lis ? If it’s a high % I assure you telesales will be tough . 80% of my and my friends duals/ lis business is replacing telesales . You got to touch low income . Telesales will work good on mapd non lis/dual and med sup .
Hardly ever, for whatever reason dual/lis really confuses me I’m always scared of messing something up with a client so I usually leave it alone unless approached. The ones I have sold I’ve definitely noticed the same thing lol

Back