Tracking down at-fault driver's insurance

theresa callahan

I am in a bit of a pickle. My car was involved in an accident in NY a few months back. The police report has a Policy Number and expiration date for the other driver but it is missing the insurance code. Apparently this is how you find out what company they were insured by ? I spoke to the responding officer as well as my insurance company and nobody is able to figure out 1. If the driver is even insured 2. If they are insured, what company they are using. My insurance company has searched the VIN, Policy Number, and Plate number in their database and were unable pull any info.

Geico has sent a letter through the collections agency they use to the driver’s residence as it is stated on the report but who knows if they still live there or if they will respond (I doubt it).

So I guess my question is…Is there way to find out through the available info from the police report if this person actually has insurance and who the provider is? Geico said no but I don't know about that.

I am not looking for some exorbitant compensation and am not looking to bankrupt anyone due to an honest accident but I would like to try to get in touch with the insurance company to cover the cost of a rental car until my car repairs are complete (it could be up to another month or two) and I have already run out of my rental coverage under my own policy.

The policy number format is XXXXXXXX-XXXXXX. Anyone have an idea which insurance company uses this number format?

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!

Geico has sent a letter through the collections agency they use to the driver’s residence as it is stated on the report but who knows if they still live there or if they will respond (I doubt it).

So I guess my question is…Is there way to find out through the available info from the police report if this person actually has insurance and who the provider is? Geico said no but I don't know about that.

Dang... Sure would be nice if there was an agent you could call to help navigate you through this...

Dang... Sure would be nice if there was an agent you could call to help navigate you through this...

Having an agent & paying the extra cost of having an agent only is useful during claims, billing problems, etc. The rest of the days of the year it really isnt worth it to pay the extra of having an agent. I learned from Geico commercials that agents tend to be out golfing or fishing & they take more than 15 minutes to save you up to 15%

Last edited:
If you could list out the sequence of the first set if digits it might help. the second set is more than likely the renewal sequence

Back